locked Re: Vertagreen tank cars

Justin May

Ryan,
These tanks are roughly 14,500 gallons, so the principles of the
kitbash would not change, but there would be a bit more material to
remove. The saddles are the same design as well. Is the underframe
printing available to the public via Shapeways? I was thinking of
using Plano and styrene to build a new running board in lieu of using
the Athearn part.

Justin May

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 1:19 AM Ryan Harris <ryan.harris@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I don't know if they are the same as the Southern tank cars, but Burlington Northern inherited several 19,000 gallon tank cars from Northern Pacific. Many of them were converted to fuel tenders in the 80s. A folio diagram showing the general arrangement and overall measurements of the original NP tank cars can be found on the GN NP joint archive.

An article appeared in Model Railroader in the late 80s that showed how to shorten one of the Athearn 62' tanks to match the ex-NP tanks more or less. I have followed this article and used the folio diagram from the GN NP archive to shorten and modify two Athearn tanks but instead of cutting and splicing the underframe I 3D printed a new one to match the shortened tank barrel. I still haven't finished the models with the plumbing of the locomotive air brake equipment being the holdup. It was pretty easy to get to the point I'm at with these models now.

If one was inclined to build a non-fuel tender tank car following the MR article and just omit the fuel tender parts it's a simple conversion.

--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, TX