locked Re: Vertagreen tank cars

George Eichelberger

All of the general arrt and detail drawings for both the ACF and GATX versions are in the SRHA archives. The Gen Arr’ts and stencil drawings are scanned. I am just back from this weekend’s archives work session. When I get semi-organized, I’ll post some downsized versions.

I don’t have a photo of the model, but years ago I cut down an Athern LP gas tank car and came up with a reasonable HO version. The tank car decals/stencils were standard Southern sizes and look quite good on a freight car brown 100-T tank car.

Ike

PS The “F-Card” (drawing list) and Specifications for just about ALL of the Southern’s freight equipment is now scanned and loaded on the network file server. The F-cards represent 4,122 page scans and the Specs are 5,114 scanned pages. There are thousands of freight car drawings scanned.

SRHA’s plan is to make all of that available, but we have not figured out how much they should cost, different prices for SRHA members and non-members, if we should let (major) donors have access to everything scanned or what. We would appreciate any idea or comments.

On Dec 15, 2019, at 12:49 AM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

> Does anyone have a general arrangement diagram for these cars? The full length center sill and welded construction are definitely a unique features that could be modeled. I know SOU 992454 at Spencer is one of the members of this series.

These tanks are shortened versions of the diesel fuel tanks ACF built for the CB&Q and GN in the mid '60s.  In other words, Athearn's "62-foot tank car".  The tank barrel might be a tad slimmer.

I couldn't find a GA drawing for them in my ca-1970 GA book.  Something else to look for in the archives.  Couldn't make it this week.  Hope to be there next month.

Merry Christmas!

Scott Chatfield