locked Re: Vertagreen tank cars

George Eichelberger

Scott:

I have to wonder how did loaded 100T tank cars effected the ride and handling of passenger trains. (Can someone say if the brake valves had to be adjusted for pass service pressure?) I’ve attached a size reduced, low res scan of drawing SF-21144 showing just the tank (!) for cars 300-346.

Years ago, I heard how cuts of “interior” phosphate cars (to midwestern farmers, not for export) in NB freights on the Clinchfield and C&O effected train handling. I assume there were interior shipments off the Coast Line in Fla. to the L&N but I don’t recall ever hearing or seeking that in the 60s or 70s.

Ike

On Dec 17, 2019, at 10:17 AM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

That drawing was specifically for the fuel cars built in 1973 so there is some minor differences in the data.  For instance, the 1962 built tanks were type ICC111A100W1, and of course, rubber lined.

This has been a most enlightening discussion for me.  I had seen the cars but never knew they were built for revenue service.  And on the back of a passenger train!  Can you imagine Amtrak's reaction if ypu suggested doing that today?!?!

Scott Chatfield