locked Re: The SCL Merger

Robert Hanson

I think that such rights were rendered redundant by the purchase of the Georgia Northern.  The Southern upgraded a portion of the road so that they could run trains from Albany over to Sparks, GA (just below Tifton on the GS&F) thus bypassing both Atlanta and Macon.

This was in the works at the time of the merger and was accomplished by 1968.

I don't know, but this seems to be the case.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Jan 2, 2020 10:47 am
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] The SCL Merger

Trackage rights for the CG from Albany to Tifton were apparently agreed to by SCL but not done?

Ike

On Jan 2, 2020, at 10:44 AM, Robert Hanson via Groups.Io <RHanson669@...> wrote:

To this day I wonder how many ICC commissioners the ACL and SAL paid off to get that kind of ruling.

It blows my mind that they were able to get the merger approved without giving up anything in the way of preserving competition.

I would have thought that they would have been forced to sell one of their Savannah-Jacksonville and Jacksonville-Tampa main lines along with other concessions elsewhere.

Just incredible.

Bob Hanson
Loganville, GA

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Jan 2, 2020 9:30 am
Subject: [SouthernRailway] The SCL Merger

Yet another major file(s) in the SRHA archives concern the Seaboard Coast Line merger in the mid 60s. In addition to competition from the ACL and SAL combination, the Southern was interested in improving their access to SCL traffic in Jacksonville (there was never any long haul interchange with the ACL there), Southern wanted to get to Tampa because of its port facilities and to have access to phosphate traffic out of Florida's "Bone Valley".

The courts quite consistently found in favor of ACL/SAL and ag ainst the Southern, FEC and GM&O (!). The various court battles, filings, local newspaper and editorial efforts make for a large file. Some findings by the ICC and courts against the Southern are inexplicable, it appears only one was overturned that allowed Southern to interchange cars with SCL in Jacksonville.

Giving up the trackage rights from Hardeeville to Jacksonville and to Portsmouth, VA are stories themselves. Why the Southern did not get the Tampa Northern to give it access to Tampa and the BV from the Palatka line are not explained except that SCL fought hard against it and the Florida courts appear to have been quite pro SCL.

A related file in the archives is on the little known plans for the Florida Phosphate Railroad that would have given the phosphate people their own line to Port Manatee. SCL would not allow a crossing at grade, a bridge over the Coast Line would have been too close to Tampa Bay to stop the heavy (!) phosphate trains.

Ike

Join main@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.