locked Re: Clay hoppers

Warren Calloway <wcalloway@...>

Most of the ones I saw in the old north state were used in service for the numerous brick companies hauling the clay use for brick manufacturing.

Warren

On Jan 13, 2020, at 3:16 PM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@mindspring.com> wrote:

The Southern had a bunch of modified 3-bay open hoppers for clay service. These are the ones with sorta-clamshell doors held closed by chains that were wrapped around spools on the carside. I gather they mostly were used in the Carolinas.

My question is what customers did they serve? Were they just for clay or did they also haul wet phosphate rock? Have they been covered in TIES?

Thanks! Hope to see some of you on Friday at the Archives.

Scott Chatfield