locked Re: Clay hoppers

George Eichelberger

Scott:

The “crude earth” cars were modified from 70T Sou 70000 series triple hoppers. When I was cataloging the SRHA freight car drawings they were generally in chrono and numerical order per drawing size. All of a sudden as I was going through drawings that went "backwards” by date and drawing number to the WWI era. It turned out, when the Southern did the mods on the clay hoppers they reached back into their files and used the same drop bottom design as the early composite hoppers. Everything used the old drawings!

The  cars were maintained (and very much disliked) at Greensboro. Most (all?) were in use to Gulf, NC

I “found” a large number of freight and passenger car retirement and scrapping records from the Claytor and Brosnan eras the last time I dug through the Prez files. Many of the composite hoppers are listed, enough we should do an article on them.

Ike

On Jan 13, 2020, at 3:16 PM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

The Southern had a bunch of modified 3-bay open hoppers for clay service.  These are the ones with sorta-clamshell doors held closed by chains that were wrapped around spools on the carside.  I gather they mostly were used in the Carolinas.

My question is what customers did they serve?  Were they just for clay or did they also haul wet phosphate rock?  Have they been covered in TIES?

Thanks!  Hope to see some of you on Friday at the Archives.

Scott Chatfield