locked Re: Clay hoppers

George Eichelberger

Yes, note Sou 73648 attached at Linwood 7-96….with no side extensions or hopper bottoms, they certainly did not carry a heavy load of chips. I have photos at Pomona of several cars with the doors missing. Note the reinforcements along the top bulb angle. With solid bottoms , they could have been rotary dumped?

Ike

PS I have not checked but might the new Tangent hoppers be a starting point for a model of these?

On Jan 13, 2020, at 7:53 PM, Sam Smith via Groups.Io <sam_smith2004@...> wrote:

These cars were used in wood chip service?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:32 PM, David Payne via Groups.Io
In a message dated 1/13/2020 3:22:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, blindog@... writes:

The Southern had a bunch of modified 3-bay open hoppers for clay service.  These are the ones with sorta-clamshell doors held closed by chains that were wrapped around spools on the carside.  I gather they mostly were used in the Carolinas.

These cars were also "common" in Georgia in the mid-sixties and early-seventies between the clay pits northwest of Rome to brick manufacturers in the Columbus and Macon areas.

David Payne
Georgia