locked Re: Clay hoppers and the "cousin" Chip hop

Warren Calloway

On January 13, 2020, at 9:58 PM, "David Payne via Groups.Io" <davidcofga@...> wrote:

Sam,
Ike posted a photo of one with "Chip Service" stenciled on it; which I never saw down in Georgia, but his photo is certainly proof enough.  I've often wondered if hoppers that showed weaknesses that wouldn't support the stenciled rating were down-rated to chip service.  Of course, all the rebuilds and subsequent designs were based on the fact that wood chips filled the capacity before nearly reaching the tonnage rating.
David

In a message dated 1/13/2020 9:50:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, sam_smith2004=yahoo.com@groups.io writes:

David,

I know exactly what you are talking about. But, Mr. Ike said that they were. When I read that, I thought maybe he was talking about the boxcar conversions, but then, I don't know everything. But to me, it would be kind of hard to mistake the two.....

Sam

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 8:32 PM, David Payne via Groups.Io
<davidcofga=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

From personal observation, I don't think so, but the same "drop bottom ~ ratchet and pawl" arrangement was used on converted forty-foot boxcars (roof removed and sides extended about two feet) in the same mid-sixties period.

These cars had slope sheets installed on the ends toward the first set of drop bottoms and had a rope attached to one end near the top ... how do I know? ...

Interestingly, the end of the B end of the car had an access opening cut in it.  These were just unique cars!

Let me add that in the early days of chip service (late fifties), it wasn't unusual for any 70 ton 3-bay hoppers to be used for chip service.  Central's first "Chip Service" cars were these cars with some even specially lettered for chip service, but it didn't take long before fifty were rebuilt with extended sides.  I think this was done in Columbus, but it could have been in Macon.  CG series 101-150.

DPayne
Georgia

In a message dated 1/13/2020 7:58:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, sam_smith2004=yahoo.com@groups.io writes:

These cars were used in wood chip service?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:32 PM, David Payne via Groups.Io
<davidcofga=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
In a message dated 1/13/2020 3:22:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, blindog@... writes:

The Southern had a bunch of modified 3-bay open hoppers for clay service.  These are the ones with sorta-clamshell doors held closed by chains that were wrapped around spools on the carside.  I gather they mostly were used in the Carolinas.

These cars were also "common" in Georgia in the mid-sixties and early-seventies between the clay pits northwest of Rome to brick manufacturers in the Columbus and Macon areas.

David Payne
Georgia