locked Re: OC 5 at the unloading site

George Eichelberger

David:

I do not expect there is a specific TVRM “plan” for Sou 5 at this moment, its restoration will come first.

As it will be operational, as opposed to a “museum piece”, the car will certainly be used on TVRM trains to some degree. (Producing revenue for TVRM is important for any piece of rolling stock.)

The restoration work already done on the car was for it to be used as a “PV” on Amtrak. While attitudes at Amtrak, NS and CSX may not be supportive of any kind of private car or excursion moves at this time, TVRM cars have HEP, chemical toilets, etc. so all of those upgrades will be useful.

TVRM has two direct connections to NS and an “almost" connection to CSX…who can imagine what might be possible in the future?

Ike

PS Don’t forget TVRM’s Southern Budd diner 3307 recently purchased from Amtrak…another “main line” ready car.

On Jan 15, 2020, at 10:41 AM, David Payne via Groups.Io <davidcofga@...> wrote:

Ike,
Do you know TVRM's plan for the car?  Marv knows what I'm thinking ...
David Payne

In a message dated 1/15/2020 10:34:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, geichelberger@... writes:

Marvin:

Yes! That is the plan…

I will put the entire Point Richmond, OC-X…OC-5, NS8 file on line at this week ends archives work session (we’ll also take time to go see NS8). That file contains everything needed to restore Southern Railway No. 5 to its pre merger appearance. It would be great to see others interested in preserving the history of the Sou Rwy chip in with cash, technical help or elbow grease.

Ike

On Jan 15, 2020, at 9:41 AM, Marv Clemons <mclemonsjr@...> wrote:

Ike, you say the car will be restored as SR OC #5.  Would that be in original Pullman green paint as well?

Thanks,
Marv Clemons