locked Re: Southern Passenger Trains on the NE Corridor in 1968

Gary Bechdol

Of course, policy and practice often varied greatly.

I started with Penn Central in July, 1970, fresh out of Georgia Tech.  That Fall, I decided to travel back to Atlanta for the Thanksgiving holiday and watch the Tech-Georgia game with friends. At that time,Southern was offering half rate tickets to holders of foreign railroad passes, so I planned to ride the Crescent from Washington to Atlanta and return.  I could catch the Crescent in Philadelphia, but I might not have enough time in Washington to run to the ticket counter and purchase a half fare ticket before the Crescent departed, so I decided to take the train leaving Philadelphia ahead of the Crescent. which happened to be the Silver Meteor.  The kicker was that the Silver Meteor was the only train on the Northeast Corridor besides the Metroliners on which my pass was not accepted.  But I went down to the platform anyway, and explained my situation to the motorman on the GG1 on the head of the Meteor.  He was agreeable, but I would have to stand in the narrow access passage behind him for the entire trip.  I wedged myself in and we were off.  The weather was wet and gloomy, so photos were pretty much out of the question.  Plus, the sand pipes were clogged.  The wheel slip lights stayed on almost continuously until the stop in Baltimore, at which point the fireman got down and banged on the sand pipes to open them up.  Apparently, it worked.  We left Baltimore 8 minutes late, and had a 35 mph speed restriction through the B&P tunnel south of the station.  Once clear of the tunnel, the motorman started notching back on the controller.  I watched the needle on the speedometer climb past the authorized maximum speed of 80 mph, then hit 100 mph and keep on going.  The speedometer on a G only goes up to 100, and we were well past that.  I best guess is that we were maintaining a speed of 110 mph, bases on the divisions on the speedometer.  The motorman apologized a couple of times for slowing to 90 mph through some interlockings.  It is 40.5 miles by timetable from Baltimore to Washington Union Station.  We did it in 32 minutes start to stop.

As an aside, I regularly rode the Bucks County Express (First stop, Cornwells Heights) out of Suburban Station while I was with PC.  The St.Louis-built Silverliners had speedometers.  On many a trip home we would run at 90 mph once we cleared the reverse curves at Frankford Junction.

Gary Bechdol

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 3:02 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
The attached memo is from a period when the Southern was attempting to cut off passenger trains and altering remaining schedules to adjust arrival and departure and connecting train times. The Penn Central speed restrictions on conventional passenger trains were supposedly not due to poor track conditions (on PC in 1968?) but due to equipment failures with conventional power and passenger equipment. As the Southern trains on the NEC were combined with PC schedules north of Washington, and virtually everything was pulled by aging GG-1s, there likely were equipment reliability issues.

....but having "conventional" trains approaching Metroliner schedules would not have been something PC would have wanted.