locked Re: Lcal passenger trains on the Southern 7-8-1941

Stephen Warner

Ike, you are correct in that most of today's airfields in the South were built as AAF training fields, mainly due to the newly year-round good flying weather. Also, in south Ga. as well as Fla. in my time flying and training SAR ops in Ga., I flew over or into many of these fields. Cordele, Tifton, Valdosta, and Brunswick come to mind.  Today's remaining fields still show their heritage.  From above, one could see the triangle of runways, allowing into-the wind ops in to/any direction. Of course, they are now a single runway operation today, with the other two closed and overgrown.

Stephen