From: John Dietrichs <jdietrichs@...>
Subject: To Mr. Eichelberger - Old Rail
Date: February 12, 2020 at 4:19:52 PM EST

Mr. Eichelberger – I am a collector of Civil War memorabilia, and have been fortunate to come into a quantity of early Atlanta area rail that was collected by Beverly Means DuBose, Jr., his son “Bo”, Franklin Garrett, Wilbur Kurtz and Syd Kirksis in the 1950’s and early 1960’s. I have had the sections (ranging from 42 ½” to 12” in length) cut down to 6”, 3”, 2” and 1” sections. I have done my own preliminary research, which I have attached, and a photo of the cross-sections of the rail I have. Actually, I have other rail in my collection, which also includes rail from several gold mines and coal mines – not critical here.

I would like to speak, if possible, to an expert on old rail, and confirm or correct my research assumptions on the 6 types of rail I believe to be CW period or earlier as seen in the first photo. I have been utterly unable to find out anything concerning the “cross-rail” piece that looks like a “P”. Jackson McQuig, Architect for the Atlanta History Center, is a rail collector, and has said it is a specialized piece that would be used where two rails cross at an angle. The “gutter” on the base is filled with a build-up of creosote, and caused my cutter problems – chewed up his circular saw blade. By the way, the last image shows a clean picture of the main types I have, plus an example of the Virginia & Truckee RR, c. 1916 style.

I WENT TO THE Kennesaw Museum, only to find you folks are no longer located there??

I would be pleased to donate a set of the 1” pieces to you, but I really do need to get an experts’ opinion on the types, etc.

Thanks you very much – please call anytime if you wish.

John

John A. Dietrichs
President, Atlanta Civil War Round Table 2019-2020
6810 Chapel Glen Court
Atlanta, GA 30360
770-804-9055