moderated Re: Peddler Cars

C J Wyatt

Another term was "trap car". Apparently it was a car loaded at a manufacturer or warehouse and sent to the transfer or freight house for further forwarding of the LCL shipments.

I am attaching an interesting, one page, clinic handout which I found online.

Jack

To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Peddler Cars

Ike - 

I cannot address the "Peddler" tariff.  Never seen one.  LCL traffic was frequently covered in separate tariffs from carload traffic.

"Peddler" cars and local freight trains were commonly used terms for these services.  Not necessarily the formal terms.

I'm working from information acquired by reading, not experience, as LCL business was all but gone by the time I went to work in 1970.  A few vestiges remained, as Bill said earlier, but the service was essentially gone by this time.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Oct 16, 2018 10:32 pm
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Peddler Cars

These explanations about Peddler cars make sense, except, why would they have a tariff filed for LCL traffic that already had its own waybills? If the car was operated by the Southern, obviously it was, it would not need to be covered with another freight tariff?

And…references to multi stop package cars do not use the term “peddler”.

It will be a bit of a zoo with everything going on but I will see if I can locate the “Peddler” tariff when we unpack at Chattanooga this weekend. It might explain itself. Everyone is welcome to come and help! Several people are driving up from Atlanta Friday and/or Saturday.

Ike

On Oct 16, 2018, at 9:28 PM, Robert Hanson via Groups.Io <RHanson669@...> wrote:

Ike - 

Unless I'm mistaken, a peddler car is a car loaded with LCL freight for various points along a run.  As I understand it, these cars were usually placed right behind the locomotive and were set off on the house track of a depot for unloading by the agent/clerk/freighthouse porter while the train crew switched carload freight at local industries.

When the switching was done, the crew re-assembled their train, with the peddler car tucked in behind the locomotive, and they moved on to the next stop where the procedure was repeated.

That's how I understand the procedure, but if anyone has additional information, I'm open to correction.

Bob Hanson

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Oct 16, 2018 9:17 pm
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Peddler Cars

There was another very obscure "local" freight service that I have only seen in the Southern's tariff. Assuming the name describes the service "Peddler Cars" were (I assume) cars that were set out along the railroad to sell whatever was in them, the 1920s version of a "truckload sale"? The only example I can think of would be something like cast iron stoves. Sell some, then move to the next town and sell some more?

Is anyone familiar with the term or know of any SR examples?

Ike

Join main@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.