moderated Re: Need number series help

D. Scott Chatfield

The Southern Railway System leased the Norfolk & Western Railway at the end of 1990, and then the Southern's formal name was changed to Norfolk Southern Railway.  This is the end date of the Southern Railway and the beginning of the use of NS reporting marks on all equipment, and new combined number series for freight cars.

Scott Chatfield

George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
Jim's question begs another....

As the Southern never had GS50, or any other car classes and the NS merger occurred in 1982, when should we consider the Southern Railway System "gone"? I realize "NS" was set up to be a holding company with the SR and NS as mol separate operations but that did not last for very long. With that logic, can we say the Southern still existed in late 1985?