locked Re: Derail sign

Used to be you had to know the territory. Logic says a derail protects against a movement coming out into the main line at spur tracks, at industries like tank farms where there are connections to cars ( usually under blue flag protection controlled by the plant) , shop areas, etc etc .

Just look for the large lump of orange iron, and make sure it’s off before entering the track.

Had an old school roadforeman always tell the new hires “ kid don’t call me at 2 am to let me know the derail works”. It was drilled into us to know where they were on our territory and not to run them over .

Todd Pearson

On Mar 4, 2020, at 10:13 AM, pschmidt3013@... wrote:

Understood. So how did the Southern indicate to TY&E that a derail was present?
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA