The idea of using 3M “Scotchcal” lettering on Southern rolling stock began when a SR VP saw a RF&P passenger car with it at Richmond’s Broad St station. After several internal memos, Hayne Shop used it on one car as described in the attached 3-12-1956 memo. Note the conversation about the color.

The Southern came to rely on Scotchcal (spelled incorrectly on the memo?) so much, EMD drawings beginning with the GP-38s did not include stencil size letters and numerals, only references to the 3M products. The “no drawings” aspect of Southern lettering made itself known when TVRM asked for drawings to letter their “new” SD-40. We had to give them the 3M part numbers instead. (George Walker and the TVRM shop people ask for as much documentation as we can find in the SRHA archives for their projects. Their effort to “get it right” gets them first priority for research time.)

Ike

On Apr 8, 2020, at 1:08 PM, Robert Graham <rgraham2@...> wrote:

You're welcome. If I can't help with a specific answer, there are MANY others on list who will also chime in when/where they can.

Bob Graham

From: "Evan Miller via groups.io"
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Sent: Wednesday April 8 2020 12:41:04PM
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Metallic to Delux Gold

Thanks for the great answer Bob!

-Evan Miller
On Apr 6, 2020, at 6:23 PM, Robert Graham <rgraham2@...> wrote:

The change from using Sotchcal metallic gold lettering on new SOU locomotives began with SOU SD40-2 3313, the first unit delivered of the final order of SOU SD40-2 3313-3328 built in May and June 1979 under o/n 786242. This order was the first new SOU locomotive order to have the darker gold Scotchlite fully reflective lettering and striping applied at the factory. The SOU supplied the SR medallions to the builder EMD for application and still had a supply of the older Scotchcal "metallic" gold medallions that EMD applied, hence SOU 3313-3328 all had the darker Scotchlite reflective lettering and striping, but the older Scotchcal metallic gold hood end medallions. The 3M Scotchlite stick-on lettering and striping appeared as a darker gold in full sunlight and was fully reflective at night when a light source was shined on it. All subsequent new locomotive orders from GE and EMD to SOU after May 1979 came with Scotchlite lettering and striping. In time, the nose medallions likewise were of the same material, but an exact date would be hard to pin down, as the SOU was sinply exhausting their old supply. From that approximate 1979 date onward, full locomotive repaints also began to have the Scotchlite lettering and striping applied at Chattanooga during repaints. In my extensive photography of SOU locomotives, any in service locomotive getting a repaint until well after the June 1982 NS merger got Scotchlite lettering. For example, I shot GP35 2685 fresh out of Chattanooga paint shop there on May 27 1983 resplendent in it. Post-NS merger full repaints got SOU (and N&W, too) paint liveries until a NS paint livery was settled on, so fresh repaints were common well after the merger. While the Scotchlite lettering does appear similar to the old SOU DuPont  Duco dulux gold that was used years ago, it is a 3M product and is not a paint, but a stick-on applied product.

Bob Graham