locked Re: Mystery Hopper Class

Stuart Thayer

Evan,

You are correct.  These would have been considered PS3's.  PS3 was nomenclature used by Pullman-Standard for all open top hoppers just like PS1 was nomenclature for all boxcars.

Stuart Thayer

In a message dated 4/10/2020 5:29:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, nsrailfan82@... writes:

Thanks everyone! I’m assuming these are 100 ton PS-3’s, but perhaps built to Southern specs? L&N had plenty of PS-3’s but theirs had a different slope angle and more panels/ribs.

-Evan Miller

On Apr 10, 2020, at 4:12 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

According to the diagram book these cars 78800-79299 were built by PS in 1975
Fenton

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 4:06 PM darrell2010 via groups.io <darrell2010=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Good memory. SOU 78800-79299, PS, Lot 9883, 7=8/75.

Darrell Sawyer

On Friday, April 10, 2020, 02:03:17 PM MDT, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

Pullman-Standard, if memory serves.  Not ex-CG.

Scott Chatfield

"Evan Miller via groups.io" <nsrailfan82=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello everyone, I was looking though the photos on the Southern Railfan photo archives and these hoppers I've linked below caught my attention.  Would anyone happen to have any information regarding this class? They lasted long enough into the NS era to receive the designation of HS-22. I know they can't be from Southern's massive fleet of 3 bay 70 tonners built in the 50's. They're not the 3 bay  Committee Design cars. And they are not the 3 bay Greenville cars that were built just before the merger. Perhaps Southern received these before switching to the Big Red design?
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/freight/hop/79121.jpg
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/freight/hop/78959.jpg
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/freight/hop/79235.jpg
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/freight/hop/79219.jpg