Date   

locked Re: GA drawings for Big Reds and Little Big Reds

George Eichelberger
 

Scott:

What is a “General Arrangement book”? Are you referring to versions of the Southern Freight Car Diagram books (some sold by SRHA) or actual General Arr't drawings? The diagram books were certainly not intended to provide an accurate “image” of what each car series looked like.

In some cases, a diagram book page represents cars from more than one carbuilder or the result of a rebuild program that used different cars.

I expect the SRHA archives has the full size “General Arrangement” drawings for every SR and CofG hopper and most otherfreight cars back to about 1905.

Ike


On Jan 25, 2021, at 8:19 AM, Sam Smith via groups.io <sam_smith2004@...> wrote:

Scott,
This is kinda interesting to me and I'm glad you asked. I will be interested to see what answers come from the group. I always kinda figured that the actual drawing was just a generalization and that the measurements were the "important" or "useful" information. I came to this conclusion because to me, a lot of the drawings of similar types of cars looked, well, a little "to similar" to me.

Sam Smith
Moultrie, Ga.


On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 9:52 PM, D. Scott Chatfield
<blindog@...> wrote:
So I was looking through my Southern general arrangement drawings, a pile that stops in the late '60s, and noticed that the drawings for both the Pullman Big Reds and Greenville Little Big Reds both show a 14-panel car side.  This doesn't match either, since the Big Reds had 20 panels and the Little Big Reds had 18 panels.  (We count only the full height panels.). It turns out that these drawings are pretty close to what some of the Little Big Reds looked like after they were rebodied in the mid '80s.  Strange or prescient?

Did any of the later G.A. books have corrected drawings for these cars?



Scott Chatfield


locked Re: Question on locomotive NON markings

Sam Smith
 

Micheal,
Yes, you are correct. If a locomotive, or any rolling stock does not have a subsidiary abbreviation displayed somewhere on it, then it belongs to the SOUTHERN proper. On freight cars and cabooses, these letters are usually on the upper right hand side.
Of course, all of this is primarily for financial and tax purposes, otherwise, it's all owned or operated by the Southern Railway Company.
Now, in "modern day" times, through paper mergers within mergers and such, you don't see these "sub-lettering" any more. 

Hope this helps a little.
Samuel Smith
Moultrie, Ga.


On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 8:41 PM, Michael Shirey
<pcrrhs6561@...> wrote:
 Ok guys, I understand the check codes and reporting marks on the side of a locomotive cab. What if a locomotive does now have a reporting mark for ownership. Is it just assumed it belongs to SOU? I ask this because there seems to be a few GP38-2 with no marks. I have Athearn #40609 SOU 5025 GP38-2. 

Michael Shirey
PCRRHS and SRHA Member


locked Re: GA drawings for Big Reds and Little Big Reds

Sam Smith
 

Scott,
This is kinda interesting to me and I'm glad you asked. I will be interested to see what answers come from the group. I always kinda figured that the actual drawing was just a generalization and that the measurements were the "important" or "useful" information. I came to this conclusion because to me, a lot of the drawings of similar types of cars looked, well, a little "to similar" to me.

Sam Smith
Moultrie, Ga.


On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 9:52 PM, D. Scott Chatfield
<blindog@...> wrote:
So I was looking through my Southern general arrangement drawings, a pile that stops in the late '60s, and noticed that the drawings for both the Pullman Big Reds and Greenville Little Big Reds both show a 14-panel car side.  This doesn't match either, since the Big Reds had 20 panels and the Little Big Reds had 18 panels.  (We count only the full height panels.). It turns out that these drawings are pretty close to what some of the Little Big Reds looked like after they were rebodied in the mid '80s.  Strange or prescient?

Did any of the later G.A. books have corrected drawings for these cars?



Scott Chatfield


locked Re: HO BLI/QSI Steam Locomotives

rwbrv4
 

If it was in the original box please send me a photo of the box end with all it's information.
Rick


-----Original Message-----
From: cvlwrnut@...
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jan 24, 2021 4:21 pm
Subject: [SouthernRailway] HO BLI/QSI Steam Locomotives

Has anyone in the group had any experience with "older" Broadway Limited steam locomotives?  I acquired one (decorated as a SOU 2-8-2 #6326) recently at an estate sale.  I operate only DC, but they're supposed to run on DC.  Anyway, when I powered it up, it made start-up sounds, but would not run.  Having contacted BLI, I was told that it's a discontinued, QSI-sound-equipped model, older than fifteen years.  I managed to do a reset on the locomotive, but it still won't run.  I'm suspecting that there's a motor/gearing problem, since it makes a vague rumbling sound when it should be running.
In any case, it didn't come with any parts/service drawings, and they're no longer available from Broadway Limited.  I'm hoping that someone in this group might have experience with one like mine, or similar in age.
Thanks for any help you might offer.
Michael Dunnington
St. Louis, MO, area


locked GA drawings for Big Reds and Little Big Reds

D. Scott Chatfield
 

So I was looking through my Southern general arrangement drawings, a pile that stops in the late '60s, and noticed that the drawings for both the Pullman Big Reds and Greenville Little Big Reds both show a 14-panel car side.  This doesn't match either, since the Big Reds had 20 panels and the Little Big Reds had 18 panels.  (We count only the full height panels.). It turns out that these drawings are pretty close to what some of the Little Big Reds looked like after they were rebodied in the mid '80s.  Strange or prescient?

Did any of the later G.A. books have corrected drawings for these cars?



Scott Chatfield


locked Question on locomotive NON markings

Michael Shirey
 

 Ok guys, I understand the check codes and reporting marks on the side of a locomotive cab. What if a locomotive does now have a reporting mark for ownership. Is it just assumed it belongs to SOU? I ask this because there seems to be a few GP38-2 with no marks. I have Athearn #40609 SOU 5025 GP38-2. 

Michael Shirey
PCRRHS and SRHA Member


locked Re: Southern Crescent

Robert Hanson
 

The last one I have in my collection is dated October 29, 1978.

I'm fairly certain that his was the last one issued.  The did not issue timetables on a monthly basis and as they were trying to take the train off (and turn it over to Amtrak) it is doubtful that another was issued later than this.

Bob Hanson
Loganville, GA

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlie Newton <newt711@...>
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jan 24, 2021 5:16 pm
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Southern Crescent

Hello---Anyone here know the issue date of the last Southern Crescent timetable? I believe it was October 1978. Comments? Thank you.


locked Re: Southern Crescent

Charlie Newton
 

Thank you.


On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 8:26 PM Bill Schafer <bill4501@...> wrote:
October 29, 1978 was the last Southern Crescent public timetable.

—Bill

On Jan 24, 2021, at 17:16, Charlie Newton <newt711@...> wrote:

Hello---Anyone here know the issue date of the last Southern Crescent timetable? I believe it was October 1978. Comments? Thank you.


locked Re: Southern Crescent

Bill Schafer
 

October 29, 1978 was the last Southern Crescent public timetable.

—Bill

On Jan 24, 2021, at 17:16, Charlie Newton <newt711@...> wrote:

Hello---Anyone here know the issue date of the last Southern Crescent timetable? I believe it was October 1978. Comments? Thank you.


locked Southern Crescent

Charlie Newton
 

Hello---Anyone here know the issue date of the last Southern Crescent timetable? I believe it was October 1978. Comments? Thank you.


locked Re: HO BLI/QSI Steam Locomotives

Eric Schrowang
 

Mike 
Might want to check with the repower regear group on Facebook.

Eric

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 16:58 <cvlwrnut@...> wrote:
Has anyone in the group had any experience with "older" Broadway Limited steam locomotives?  I acquired one (decorated as a SOU 2-8-2 #6326) recently at an estate sale.  I operate only DC, but they're supposed to run on DC.  Anyway, when I powered it up, it made start-up sounds, but would not run.  Having contacted BLI, I was told that it's a discontinued, QSI-sound-equipped model, older than fifteen years.  I managed to do a reset on the locomotive, but it still won't run.  I'm suspecting that there's a motor/gearing problem, since it makes a vague rumbling sound when it should be running.
In any case, it didn't come with any parts/service drawings, and they're no longer available from Broadway Limited.  I'm hoping that someone in this group might have experience with one like mine, or similar in age.
Thanks for any help you might offer.
Michael Dunnington
St. Louis, MO, area


locked Re: HO BLI/QSI Steam Locomotives

rwbrv4
 

Contact me off list at dccinstallssales@... 
Rick




On Sunday, January 24, 2021 cvlwrnut <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> wrote:

Has anyone in the group had any experience with "older" Broadway Limited steam locomotives?  I acquired one (decorated as a SOU 2-8-2 #6326) recently at an estate sale.  I operate only DC, but they're supposed to run on DC.  Anyway, when I powered it up, it made start-up sounds, but would not run.  Having contacted BLI, I was told that it's a discontinued, QSI-sound-equipped model, older than fifteen years.  I managed to do a reset on the locomotive, but it still won't run.  I'm suspecting that there's a motor/gearing problem, since it makes a vague rumbling sound when it should be running.
In any case, it didn't come with any parts/service drawings, and they're no longer available from Broadway Limited.  I'm hoping that someone in this group might have experience with one like mine, or similar in age.
Thanks for any help you might offer.
Michael Dunnington
St. Louis, MO, area


locked HO BLI/QSI Steam Locomotives

michael DUNNINGTON
 

Has anyone in the group had any experience with "older" Broadway Limited steam locomotives?  I acquired one (decorated as a SOU 2-8-2 #6326) recently at an estate sale.  I operate only DC, but they're supposed to run on DC.  Anyway, when I powered it up, it made start-up sounds, but would not run.  Having contacted BLI, I was told that it's a discontinued, QSI-sound-equipped model, older than fifteen years.  I managed to do a reset on the locomotive, but it still won't run.  I'm suspecting that there's a motor/gearing problem, since it makes a vague rumbling sound when it should be running.
In any case, it didn't come with any parts/service drawings, and they're no longer available from Broadway Limited.  I'm hoping that someone in this group might have experience with one like mine, or similar in age.
Thanks for any help you might offer.
Michael Dunnington
St. Louis, MO, area


locked Re: Train register book help

Paul Schmidt
 

Thank you, Bill. That's a great help!
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA


locked Re: Topic on Scales and Scale Tracks is locked, and I'd like to ask a question

David Payne
 

 
Never saw a Southern crew, nor even a CofG crew, weigh cars, but watched under my grandfather's "supervision" as the West Point Route (A&WP/WofA) weighed cars in Newnan, Ga.
 
The local freight crew would shove the car onto the "weigh" rails, cut off, the conductor (I assume) would work the scale, then couple-up and move on to the next car to be weighed or other work.
 
This was a scale with an "open shack" not an enclosed house as many plans show.  The one on the CofG in Newnan was similar.  I think both were of Fairbanks-Morse construction.  I attribute this to the relatively mild weather which didn't require a building to enclose the beam, but there was such a building in Athens, Ga.  Go figure.
 
David Payne
 
 
 
 


locked Re: Train register book help

Bill Schafer
 

Paul:

Below are two pages from the register book at Marion Junction, Ala., for January 12, 1917. I’m not an expert on train registers, and they may have changed over the years as the rules changed. From the looks of it, this book - which had enough pages for an entire month - was a standard Southern Railway form. There may be more like this in private collections or in the SRHA archives; they contain a wealth of information. 

Hope this helps.

—Bill Schafer



On Jan 21, 2021, at 22:22, pschmidt3013@... wrote:

Would anyone happen to have a photo to share of a page from a Southern train register book? 

Was there any difference in the type of train register books used where an operator was on duty compared to those signed by the C&E at unmanned stations/junctions? 

Thank you.
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA


locked Re: Topic on Scales and Scale Tracks is locked, and I'd like to ask a question

George Eichelberger
 

Bruce:

Your question is a good one! I'll post it as new topic while I figure out how to “unlock” a topic.

My guess, only that, is a switch crew would uncouple, spot and recouple cars on the scale as with any other work. No other “signal” equipment would be necessary. I have seen memos in the SRHA archives telling crews they MUST uncouple cars as they were weighed to get accurate readings.

Ike


On Jan 22, 2021, at 5:43 AM, <bruce.harrison@...> <bruce.harrison@...> wrote:

Hi, thank you for maintaining this group.  I wanted to ask a question about how the scale operator would signal the engineer to advance the cars over the scale. The drawing  states “street car head lights to be mounted on poles.  I assume that’s how this was done,  but wonder if it was a plain light or colored, and if anyone could add any addition info.
 
The topic has been locked after 14 days, so I’m not sure how to ask – do I create a new topic? Or do you unlock it?  
 
Bruce Harrison
Columbia, CT


locked Re: Everett Young and Tom Smart photos

George Eichelberger
 

No, that is the Louisville (K&IT) bridge.

The attached photo is of the Ohio River bridge.

In addition to being a remarkable record of the bridge's re-building, the photos show how the new structure was built over and around the original bridge with everything in service. CSB 51 shows the boiler for a steam powered crane being attached to a flat car lifted earlier. The section of girder had been set on top of the first of the new bridge structure to carry the crane. The new bridge is wider and taller than the original so it was built outside of the first bridge on extended piers. Other photos show the decks of the two were not at the same height so as sections of the new construction were put in service, there was a ramp between the two.

Rather than simply run a series of photos, we would rather have someone familiar with bridge design and construction help with captions and a description of the work for a TIES article or presentation.

Ike



On Jan 21, 2021, at 9:49 PM, Michael Shirey <pcrrhs6561@...> wrote:

George, the photo you attached. Is that the bridge from Cincy to Ludlow? 

Michael Shirey
PCRRHS and SRHA Member


On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 4:07 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
Michael:

You are certainly correct that more needs to be researched, written and presented on the Southern’s Louisville-E. St Louis line. The SRHA archives contain photos, contracts, maps and drawings of many of the (L,E&StL) line’s features. The Louisville “By Location” file includes 5.67 GB of scans with 227 drawings, documents and photos.

With luck, we will be able to open the archives at TVRM for research this summer. Come, look at the files and think about working on an article for TIES and that presentation.

Ike

PS In addition to the Louisville bridge photos (an example is attached), there is a fabulous series of photos of the rebuilding of the Ohio Rive bridge from Ludlow to Cincinnati. If anyone has experience with bridge engineering or construction, they may be interested in those photos in the archives.

<K&IT Bridge #371.jpeg>



On Jan 21, 2021, at 3:17 PM, Michael Shirey <pcrrhs6561@...> wrote:

 Thanks guys! So sorry to hear about Tom's passing. So with this new information, whom has the photos of Toms'?

 My only intention was to see if they had more photos to share of Louisville, KY., New Albany, and Duncan hill, Indiana and parts west of there on the East District line. There is hardly no reference about this section of line anywhere on the web. There photos in that book are outstanding and I am very glad that part of Southern's history was captured.

 I have family down in that area of indiana. So when visiting as a kid I remember them running there in Tuxedo paint in the early 1980's. I just want to put together more factual information to share with others on that area of the Southern. Maybe even possibly a future SRHA Convention, who knows.  





locked Train register book help

Paul Schmidt
 

Would anyone happen to have a photo to share of a page from a Southern train register book? 

Was there any difference in the type of train register books used where an operator was on duty compared to those signed by the C&E at unmanned stations/junctions? 

Thank you.
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA


locked Re: Everett Young and Tom Smart photos

Michael Shirey
 

George, the photo you attached. Is that the bridge from Cincy to Ludlow? 

Michael Shirey
PCRRHS and SRHA Member


On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 4:07 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
Michael:

You are certainly correct that more needs to be researched, written and presented on the Southern’s Louisville-E. St Louis line. The SRHA archives contain photos, contracts, maps and drawings of many of the (L,E&StL) line’s features. The Louisville “By Location” file includes 5.67 GB of scans with 227 drawings, documents and photos.

With luck, we will be able to open the archives at TVRM for research this summer. Come, look at the files and think about working on an article for TIES and that presentation.

Ike

PS In addition to the Louisville bridge photos (an example is attached), there is a fabulous series of photos of the rebuilding of the Ohio Rive bridge from Ludlow to Cincinnati. If anyone has experience with bridge engineering or construction, they may be interested in those photos in the archives.




On Jan 21, 2021, at 3:17 PM, Michael Shirey <pcrrhs6561@...> wrote:

 Thanks guys! So sorry to hear about Tom's passing. So with this new information, whom has the photos of Toms'?

 My only intention was to see if they had more photos to share of Louisville, KY., New Albany, and Duncan hill, Indiana and parts west of there on the East District line. There is hardly no reference about this section of line anywhere on the web. There photos in that book are outstanding and I am very glad that part of Southern's history was captured.

 I have family down in that area of indiana. So when visiting as a kid I remember them running there in Tuxedo paint in the early 1980's. I just want to put together more factual information to share with others on that area of the Southern. Maybe even possibly a future SRHA Convention, who knows.  

941 - 960 of 2450