Date   
moderated Re: Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

George Eichelberger
 

After NS moved out of the building, the people that purchased it contacted us for help with Southern Railway photos, maps, etc. to put in the lobby to recognize the history of the building. We sent them a good selection but the owner decided not to follow up.

Here are two photos from the archives:




On May 22, 2019, at 5:10 PM, Kenneth W McIlvoy <theashcat@...> wrote:

In 40 years with Amtrak I was at the beautiful Southern Railway headquarters many times.  It doesn’t surprise me that they would have drawings of nearby parks. They were just very detail-oriented people.
 
From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 11:36 AM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing
 
We have mentioned the rare and unusual items to be found in the SRHA archives before. Here is an example of "unusual". Why the Southern prepared a drawing (attached) of the
the trees in Lafayette Park (directly across Pennsylvania Ave. from the White House) is unknown. The Southern Railway headquarters building (sold) is to the left.

If anyone is interested in working on a TIES article related to any of the contracts that have been scanned, we can attempt to locate a corresponding Presidents file at the June work session. At last weekend's work session, I was pleased to find a number of files that corresponded to the different contracts. A new list of scanned contracts will be posted next week.

If anyone is interested in working on a TIES article related to any of the contracts, we can attempt to locate a corresponding Presidents file at the June work session. Please contact me off list at archives@...

While it is hard to predict how much research time anyone can spend in the archives during the SRHA convention, everyone is welcome to come to the archives "grand opening" at 10:00AM Saturday the 1st of June. Convention details are ln the SRHA web site at www.srha.net.

Ike


Virus-free. www.avast.com

moderated Re: Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

Kenneth W McIlvoy <theashcat@...>
 

Their loss.

 

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 05:39 PM
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

 

After NS moved out of the building, the people that purchased it contacted us for help with Southern Railway photos, maps, etc. to put in the lobby to recognize the history of the building. We sent them a good selection but the owner decided not to follow up.

 

Here are two photos from the archives:

 

 

 

On May 22, 2019, at 5:10 PM, Kenneth W McIlvoy <theashcat@...> wrote:

 

In 40 years with Amtrak I was at the beautiful Southern Railway headquarters many times.  It doesn’t surprise me that they would have drawings of nearby parks. They were just very detail-oriented people.

 

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 11:36 AM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

 

We have mentioned the rare and unusual items to be found in the SRHA archives before. Here is an example of "unusual". Why the Southern prepared a drawing (attached) of the
the trees in Lafayette Park (directly across Pennsylvania Ave. from the White House) is unknown. The Southern Railway headquarters building (sold) is to the left.

If anyone is interested in working on a TIES article related to any of the contracts that have been scanned, we can attempt to locate a corresponding Presidents file at the June work session. At last weekend's work session, I was pleased to find a number of files that corresponded to the different contracts. A new list of scanned contracts will be posted next week.

If anyone is interested in working on a TIES article related to any of the contracts, we can attempt to locate a corresponding Presidents file at the June work session. Please contact me off list at archives@...

While it is hard to predict how much research time anyone can spend in the archives during the SRHA convention, everyone is welcome to come to the archives "grand opening" at 10:00AM Saturday the 1st of June. Convention details are ln the SRHA web site at www.srha.net.

Ike

 

Image removed by sender.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

 

moderated Re: Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

Cohen Bob
 

Perhaps more interestingly is where SR was located prior to this building, and why they relocated. The basics are fairly well-known (well, okay, maybe not THAT well-known) but where they were located is. Now there is a story: why did SR move after the big fire in their former HQ which I think was around 1925 if memory serves me and not rebuild just on the same site?

Bob Cohen

moderated Re: Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

George Eichelberger
 

Bob:

At first, I thought you were talking about NYC before Sam Spencer and the headquarters moved to DC. Yes, there is a time “gap” between the move and the new building. I have not “stumbled” on a Presidents’ file about the new building but certainly, one exists. Perhaps the following Presidents’ files for Fairfax Harrison in the 1926 finding aids are a clue?

420

9682

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930 (4 Files)

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC.

(Folder 1 of 4)

420

9683

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC. (Folder 2 of 4)

420

9684

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC. (Folder 3 of 4)

420

9685

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general

office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC. (Folder 4 of 4)


There are finding aids for every year of every Southern Railway President. The work was done by Ms. Sallie Loy with support from a grant from Norfolk Southern while Wick Moorman was President. SRHA cannot thank NS and Sallie enough for the effort! We need volunteers to revisit and update all of our finding aids. We can work with local university students if a grant can be obtained to pay them and for archives supplies.

Ike

On May 23, 2019, at 9:43 AM, Cohen Bob via Groups.Io <orl96782@...> wrote:

Perhaps more interestingly is where SR was located prior to this building, and why they relocated. The basics are fairly well-known (well, okay, maybe not THAT well-known) but where they were located is. Now there is a story: why did SR move after the big fire in their former HQ which I think was around 1925 if memory serves me and not rebuild just on the same site?

Bob Cohen

moderated Re: Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

Cohen Bob
 

Ike:

The mystery and curiosity of mine is, after the disastrous fire, why did the SR not rebuild on the same site, albeit with a new structure, etc.? That is my mystery inquiry on this issue. The fire was well-documented at the time in the DC newspapers, occurring only a few blocks from the Washington Evening Star HQ building at the corner of 11th & Penna. Ave., NW. 

Bob Cohen

moderated Re: Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

Cohen Bob
 

Right after I hit send, a light dawned and here is perhaps why it wasn't rebuilt there: it was at the western end of the dawning Federal Triangle and perhaps the DC Commissioners, appointed by the President of the US, enticed SR in some way to build elsewhere closeby. Now the fact that the old SR site was not built upon until 60 or 70 years later is another story, but the Federal Triangle idea of government buildings located between Penna Ave. and Constitution Ave. and 6th to 15th Streets is a fact and today, the FTC, Archives, Dept. of Justice, IRS, Post Office (now converted into a hotel), ICC, Reagan Building, Commerce Department/s, all occupy that triangle ...... and a lot more in DC, but perhaps that was the reason for the relocation.

Who knows and yes, it might be buried in the Fairfax Harrison files somewhere in correspondence.

Bob

moderated Re: Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

George Eichelberger
 

Bob:

We could use a time line….

When did the Southern move from NYC to DC,
Where was their first headquarters in Washington,
“a few blocks from” does not sound like 1300 PA Ave,
was “near the newspaper” before or after 1300?

It’s time to hit the Prez files!

Ike


On May 24, 2019, at 10:38 AM, Cohen Bob via Groups.Io <orl96782@...> wrote:

Ike:

The mystery and curiosity of mine is, after the disastrous fire, why did the SR not rebuild on the same site, albeit with a new structure, etc.? That is my mystery inquiry on this issue. The fire was well-documented at the time in the DC newspapers, occurring only a few blocks from the Washington Evening Star HQ building at the corner of 11th & Penna. Ave., NW. 

Bob Cohen

moderated Re: Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

Tim
 

The Southern Railway Building is on the national historic register, and the park service has a web page about it: https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/16000194.htm

According to that, the original building at the corner of 13th and Pennsylvania Ave. burned in 1916. It was replaced on site, but was demolished 10 years later for construction of the Federal Triangle. The "new" headquarters at 15th and K was built in 1928-29.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

moderated Southern Railway books for sale

charliecatsrr
 

I need to sell some of my Southern Railway & other south eastern railway books.

These include, but not limited to Southern Steam Locomotives & Boats by Richard E. Prince, Southern Steam Power by Harold E. Ranks & Shelby F. Lowe.  This book is autographed by Shelby Lowe.  I also have at least a dozen more books.  Is anyone interested?

J. C. Paschal


moderated Re: Southern Railway books for sale

Michael Roderick
 

J.C.:

I would like a list of Southern books you still have and the prices for them please.

Mike Roderick


From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> on behalf of charliecatsrr via Groups.Io <charliecatsrr@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2019 15:43
To: ModelingTheSouthern@southernrailway.groups.io; main@SouthernRailway.groups.io; southern-railway-system@groups.io; SOUTHERNmodeler@...; SouthernRailway@groups.io
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Southern Railway books for sale
 

I need to sell some of my Southern Railway & other south eastern railway books.

These include, but not limited to Southern Steam Locomotives & Boats by Richard E. Prince, Southern Steam Power by Harold E. Ranks & Shelby F. Lowe.  This book is autographed by Shelby Lowe.  I also have at least a dozen more books.  Is anyone interested?

J. C. Paschal


moderated Re: Southern Railway books for sale

Tracey Green
 

I also would like that information

moderated SRHA on Instagram

Kevin Centers
 

All

SRHA now has an Instagram account! It is @SouthernRHA . If you’re already an Instagram member, please sign up for some pictures from our convention weekend. If you’re not an Instagram user, you should sign up. You never know what kind of surprises we may post.

Thanks

Kevin

moderated Gordonsville, Virginia

Jay Beckham
 

Two questions, did the SR run through Gordonsville, VA in the early 1900s e.g 1915-1920? Also does the society have any employee lists from that period? Thanks!
Jay Beckham

moderated Re: Gordonsville, Virginia

Carl Ardrey
 

The Orange and Alexandria came to the area before the Civil War.  SRHA has no employee information.

CEA

On June 5, 2019 at 8:24 AM Jay Beckham <james@...> wrote:

Two questions, did the SR run through Gordonsville, VA in the early 1900s e.g 1915-1920? Also does the society have any employee lists from that period? Thanks!
Jay Beckham

moderated Re: Gordonsville, Virginia

Bill Schafer
 

The correct answer is that the Orange-Gordonsville line was leased for 99 years to the C&O by the Richmond & Danville in December 1890. At the same time, C&O obtained trackage rights from Orange to Alexandria, Va. The Southern Railway, having been formed in 1894, did not operate the line between Orange and Gordonsville. Hope this answers your question.

On Jun 5, 2019, at 9:53 AM, Carl Ardrey <carlardrey2005@...> wrote:

The Orange and Alexandria came to the area before the Civil War.  SRHA has no employee information.

CEA

On June 5, 2019 at 8:24 AM Jay Beckham <james@...> wrote: 

Two questions, did the SR run through Gordonsville, VA in the early 1900s e.g 1915-1920? Also does the society have any employee lists from that period? Thanks!
Jay Beckham

moderated Re: Gordonsville, Virginia

Cohen Bob
 

Bill and others:

You are so right. But it gets more complicated .......... and fun, if you like digging and research.

The old Orange & Alexandria RR by the mid-1870s was then the Washington City, Virginia Midland & Great Southern RR or Virginia Midland for everyday conversation. The VM was then controlled by the B&O. By that time, the VM had very limited trackage rights and not enough trains were permitted by the C&O between Gordonsville & Charlottesville so Gordonsville was approached for a double-tracking expansion plan and they balked and refused the plan so the VM then created its own connecting link between the Charlottesville & Rapidan RR, directly connecting Orange & Charlottesville, originally a single-track line. This opened in December 1880-January 1881 and relegated the Gordonsville or Orange Branch into a lethargic jerkwater run, 9.05 miles each way. That continued for 10 years. During that time, the C&O made noises about wanting to build its own distinctly separate RR line to the growing DC region and that led to the lease Bill mentioned. The last VM jerkwater train ran on February 28, 1891 and for the next month, the C&O rebuilt the line with heavier rail and on April 1st, they commenced running into DC via the VM/R&D soon to be SR mainline.

The C&O also obtained trackage rights past AF tower in Alexandria and into the PRR's depot down at 6th & B (today's Constitution Ave), All that and much more are what led to the creation of Washington's Union Station and Potomac Yards over the next 15+ years and as they say ........ the rest is history.

Bob Cohen

moderated Re: Gordonsville, Virginia

sgwarner88@...
 

Regarding Mr. Beckham's question, I do not know.  However, in handling Operating Agreements for NS in the 80's, CSXT wanted to renew the 1880's Lease of the line Orange to Gordonsville (did SR operate over it to Gordonsville prior to the 1880's lease, but I doubt it as SR would then have needed trackage rights over their old RR) The agreement in my file was so old that the maps and pages cracked (I hope that other copies survive in SRHA files).  As no one at NS had any use for it nor objections, I did renew it the Lease to CSXT.  And as we all know, we later assigned the Lease to Bob Bryant of Buckingham Branch.  But CSXT's assignment application included the Amtrak Off-Corridor Trackage agreement.  When I saw that, I knew that they could not assign the Cardinal's (and any other trains that may be proposed) trackage rights on that segment.  I told Jim Paschal in NS Law and he had CSXT withdraw and rewrite the application to retain the Amtrak operation over BB.  Just a side note to history.  Related to this, C&O had TR over the O&A/SR from AF Tower via Seminary/Horn Track to Orange from sometime around the War of Succession, but I do not have data on the date now (I also still have an O&A switch key).  Also, little known to SR and NS, they also were to be billed for Passing Track maintenance along the route.  Passing Sidings on DT?  But it was also D-251 Territory until the 60's, which had ABS in only one direction on each main.  So any local or ft., C&O of SR, had to Take Siding by schedule or train order when overtaken by a faster SR/C&O passenger train.  I started billing CSXT for the Maint. work on the one or two still being used by NS and CSXT didn't like it. Fun and games based upon old history.

moderated Re: Gordonsville, Virginia

George Eichelberger
 

This conversation is another opportunity to introduce the group to the various contracts in the SRHA archives. The list I posted a couple of weeks ago will soon be replaced by newer version that includes around 100 new contracts and attachments. If you have not looked at the list, take a few minutes to do that…you will be surprised at how many trackage rights, union stations, etc agreements are included. I expect the “Richmond” contracts will provide data for some interesting presentations at next year’s SRHA convention there.

The next SRHA archives work session will be on June 21 and 22. Everyone is welcome to join us.

This past weekend's dedication of the archives was well attended. All of the comments I heard were very positive. Aside from the (superb) appearance of the building, the universal comment was “I had no idea there was this much in the SRHA archives." 

Here is the cover and attachment showing Orange, VA from Contract No. 897. There are only six pages in contract 897 so I can post it if anyone is interested.

Ike


moderated Re: Gordonsville, Virginia

William Pratt
 

Ike,
The diagram is great, and I would like to see the other pages if it is convenient.
Thanks,

Bill Pratt

On Jun 6, 2019, at 11:37 AM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

This conversation is another opportunity to introduce the group to the various contracts in the SRHA archives. The list I posted a couple of weeks ago will soon be replaced by newer version that includes around 100 new contracts and attachments. If you have not looked at the list, take a few minutes to do that…you will be surprised at how many trackage rights, union stations, etc agreements are included. I expect the “Richmond” contracts will provide data for some interesting presentations at next year’s SRHA convention there.

The next SRHA archives work session will be on June 21 and 22. Everyone is welcome to join us.

This past weekend's dedication of the archives was well attended. All of the comments I heard were very positive. Aside from the (superb) appearance of the building, the universal comment was “I had no idea there was this much in the SRHA archives." 

Here is the cover and attachment showing Orange, VA from Contract No. 897. There are only six pages in contract 897 so I can post it if anyone is interested.

Ike

<897 Cover.jpg>

<897 Orange, VA.jpg>

moderated Re: Gordonsville, Virginia

George Eichelberger
 

William:

Here are the pages from contract number 897:

Ike