Topics

moderated 1945 timetable info needed

Charles Powell

I am helping a writer friend with a historical novel that takes place in 1945. His characters are going from Warm Springs, GA to Washington, DC. So far I have found a 1950s SR passenger Timetable that shows the line from McDonough GA to Columbus, GA as freight only. I am guessing that there might still have been passenger service in the 1940s. Does anybody have 1940s passenger timetable or know where online I could find the info? If SR was still running passenger trains to Columbus would they originated out of Atlanta or would you have to change trains at McDonough? Any help would be appreciated.
Charlie Powell

George Eichelberger

Charlie:

The archives project to scan every available Southern System ETT and PTT is almost complete. I’ll ask if a 40s version of either showing Warm Springs has been scanned and see if we can post a copy. We have not decided, but I expect, to create DVD’s with all of the scans.

If anyone has SRS ETTs or PTTs, please let us know in case you can fill in a gap.

Also Re Warm Springs: I have almost finished scanning a file that describes the details of many of FDR’s POTUS specials to Warm Springs and elsewhere. The trains were typically seven cars including a Pullman Club (the first car in the consist) that carried the Presidents’ Packard auto.

My father was a US Marine on FDR’s guard detail before the war and traveled with the President a number of times. A wood ramp was carried with the Packard to load and unload it. There was contention between the Marines and railroad people because they wanted the Marines to deal with the ramp. The Marines were told they were to guard the President, not be baggage handlers.

On Jun 29, 2019, at 12:21 PM, Charles Powell <charlesspowell@...> wrote:

I am helping a writer friend with a historical novel that takes place in 1945. His characters are going from Warm Springs, GA to Washington, DC. So far I have found a 1950s SR passenger Timetable that shows the line from McDonough GA to Columbus, GA as freight only. I am guessing that there might still have been passenger service in the 1940s. Does anybody have 1940s passenger timetable or know where online I could find the info? If SR was still running passenger trains to Columbus would they originated out of Atlanta or would you have to change trains at McDonough? Any help would be appreciated.
Charlie Powell

C J Wyatt

The May 1945 Official Guide shows train no. 24 departing Warm Springs GA at 9:37 am and arriving Atlanta at 12:30 pm. If the passenger is going via Pullman, No. 38, The Crescent, departed Atlanta at 1:35 pm. The passenger could catch No. 40 leaving at 1:55 pm if traveling in coach, but No. 40 also had a diner as far as Charlotte, as well as a NY Pullman line and a DC one, too.

Do you have a specific date in 1945 which you are looking for?

Jack Wyatt

On Saturday, June 29, 2019, 12:21:39 PM EDT, Charles Powell <charlesspowell@...> wrote:

I am helping a writer friend with a historical novel that takes place in 1945. His characters are going from Warm Springs, GA to Washington, DC. So far I have found a 1950s SR passenger Timetable that shows the line from McDonough GA to Columbus, GA as freight only. I am guessing that there might still have been passenger service in the 1940s. Does anybody have 1940s passenger timetable or know where online I could find the info? If SR was still running passenger trains to Columbus would they originated out of Atlanta or would you have to change trains at McDonough? Any help would be appreciated.
Charlie Powell

George Eichelberger

Let me clarify a bit about Pullman "club cars" carrying FDR's auto...On Jun 29, 2019, at 3:18 PM, Charles Powell wrote:

George,
I was interested in what you said about your father being on FDR's security detail prior to the war and the POTUS specials to Warm Springs. I knew that the president's car traveled with him, but I not sure I follow you on loading the Packard into a Pullman Club? I usually think of a club car as a lounge car…..

Charles:
The car is identified differently on the documentation for various trips: “Pullman club”, "Pullman club car” and “Pullman club-baggage" are all used with Pullman club-baggage being the most common.

The chapter on Southern’s “Crescent Limited” in Arthur Dubin’s “Some Classic Trains” (Pg 116) includes a photo of club car “William Moultrie” that shows and describes a lounge-baggage configuration. In Duban’s book, the same type car is shown in the B&O “Capitol Limited” and other trains, including the Santa Fe “Chief”, all are referred to as "club cars”. Was the “club” portion of those cars considered rather “high class” and “baggage” was not, thus the truncated name?

A December, 1938 trip to Warm Springs, GA included Pullman club car “Barren Hill”. A POTUS to the west coast in Jul, 1938 used club car “Long Island”. For the June 10 and 11, 1940 trip from Washington to Charlottesville then to Hyde Park, NY, Feb 14 and 15 (Washington to Pensacola) the first car was AC equipped Pullman Club-Baggage Car "Liberty Cap”. In the majority of cases, the club or club-baggage car is unnamed.

“The President Travels by Train” by Bob Withers (Pg 136) mentions “Beginning in 1942, this assignment was filled by B&O combination passenger-baggage coach 1401 under lease to the government” but there is no record for wartime POTUS trains in the SRHA file.

So…is calling club-baggage cars “club” cars simply an abbreviation or the standard of the period?

Ike

PS Further reading in the file mentions a ramp for FDR to use to get off his car. Does that imply a ramp for the auto, and the auto, was not on some trips that included a “club” car?