Topics

locked 1985 Freight Train Schedules and Blocking Instructions

John

I recently worked with the owner of the movingthefreight.com website to post a copy of the 2/85 Freight Train Schedules and Blocking Instructions from my collection.  It is a total of 369 pages in PDF format and includes all manifest freights and unit coal trains.  For purists, it's after the NS merger but still in the traditional Southern Railway schedule and blocking format.  The big changes would come in 1988 when NS went to a common train numbering format for both the N&W and SOU.

You may access it at the link below.

https://movingthefreight.com/railroads/southern/

John

Tim

Thanks John. I've got a February 1979 Freight Train Schedules and Blocking Instructions from this site: http://southern.railfan.net/

For the eastern lines, one of the biggest differences between these two was the construction of the new Spencer Yard in Linwood, NC, in 1979. That dramatically changed how freight was moved, particularly to the smaller terminals. For instance, in the 1985 document trains 131 and 132, between Winston-Salem and Charlotte, were removed. Trains 166 and 167, which ran between Charlotte and Knoxville in early 1979, were Knoxville to Spencer trains in 1985. I'm sure there are other examples. Eventually, much of the through traffic on the Spencer/Asheville/Morristown, TN, S-Line was moved to the N&W main line.

While it's after the 1982 merger date, and there are some N&W symbols included, at least it's still a Southern Ry. document. :)

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

John

Tim:

Yes, the 1979 Freight Train Schedules and Blocking Instructions online at is another good resource.  Interesting to compare the changes between the two.  The one that jumped out at me was the elimination of 171 and 172 run-through trains to Toledo on the B&O.

I've been looking for Freight Schedules and Blocking books for earlier than 1979.  If someone out there has one, it would be great it they could scan a copy and share.

John C