Topics

moderated Southern Railway Valuation Section Maps

George Eichelberger

Before posting some examples of rolling stock data from the ICC forms, here are the "index" maps showing the Valuation Sections for the Southern Railway. Note that other parts of the "Southern Railway System" are not included. The CNO&TP, AGS, etc. had their own accounts and ICC reporting requirements. We have many of those documents in the archives but we need to do a complete inventory (and make scans if there is interest).

To limit the size of this email, they are on Google Drive at the following link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x9OWOMvx10j2tdDZbLlVmNFaJlvYuGIL?usp=sharing

Eventually, we will establish a digital archive at Chattanooga with an off-site backup. There is already a high speed fiber optic link to the archives building that gives us excellent WiFi connectivity. Anyone knowledgable about the Internet and data servers is welcome to help plan, acquire and install the server hardware. We will then be able to transition SRHA archives documents onto our own searchable platform and not rely on services such as Google Drive.

Ike

Tim

Thanks Ike. This should help finding things even in other collections. I'll be going to the Washington, DC, area this week for the MER convention. If things are on time, I may hit the Library of Congress to look at these documents there. The section I'm interested in is labeled 33. What does that refer to?

To any others that have done this before, any tips on investigating documents at the LOC?

Thanks,
Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

George Eichelberger

Tim:

I understand the ICC records (the originals) are in a warehouse in MD. I cannot imagine how big the place must be after seeing the scope of what SRHA has for just the Southern and CofG…imagine the PRR or UP!

The “33” you are seeing is most likely the Valuation Section number for the line segment you are interested in. All of the fixed plant (i.e not rolling stock or “unassigned”) records are based on the State and Val Section. Val sections are on a state by state basis, the numbers may be repeated. I expect you want NC Val Section 33. Note also, you want to make sure you find the different accounts 15, 16, whatever, that include depots, water stations, etc. for that Section. They may appear in different books and an account may only be found in the year a change was made to that category.

I will post some rolling stock records later today or tomorrow. Those records are reasonably good at showing predecessor railroads’ car numbers, built dates, original costs, etc. The oldest piece of Southern MoW equipment I found dated back to the Civil War. It was included in the initial Engineering Reports but gone by 1916.

 Ike

On Oct 1, 2018, at 1:53 PM, Tim <tarumph@...> wrote:

Thanks Ike. This should help finding things even in other collections. I'll be going to the Washington, DC, area this week for the MER convention. If things are on time, I may hit the Library of Congress to look at these documents there. The section I'm interested in is labeled 33. What does that refer to?

To any others that have done this before, any tips on investigating documents at the LOC?

Thanks,
Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

A&Y Dave in MD

You actually want the National Archives and Records Administration in College Park.  Note that this is a multi-day visit most times. You order things, they find them on MASSIVE compact shelving units, they bring them to a viewing room. No pens, only pencils to avoid marking anything permanently. Digital image equipment allowed.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Oct 1, 2018, at 1:53 PM, Tim <tarumph@...> wrote:

Thanks Ike. This should help finding things even in other collections. I'll be going to the Washington, DC, area this week for the MER convention. If things are on time, I may hit the Library of Congress to look at these documents there. The section I'm interested in is labeled 33. What does that refer to?

To any others that have done this before, any tips on investigating documents at the LOC?

Thanks,
Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Tim

Thanks Dave. Sounds like a subject for a trip next year, since my vacation's done for this year.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC