Topics

locked SOU Directory of Industries (was Re: [SouthernRailway] Southern "Package Car" Services)

mike turner

Dumb question of the day: where might one find a copy of SOU directories of industries? Specific interest is circa 1950 but any year would be helpful. Thx.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

On 10/16/2018 11:57 AM, C J Wyatt wrote:
The Southern Railway directory of Industries which was printed around 1938 has ten pages of the package car routes for the various freight houses on the system.
Jack

Robert Hanson

They occasionally show up at railroad memorabilia shows, but when they do, they aren't cheap.  The last one I saw (circa 1930) changed hands at something over $100.

You also might monitor ebay.

Bob Hanson

Dumb question of the day: where might one find a copy of SOU directories of industries? Specific interest is circa 1950 but any year would be helpful. Thx.
Mike Turner
MP-Z35
On 10/16/2018 11:57 AM, C J Wyatt wrote:
The Southern Railway directory of Industries which was printed around 1938 has ten pages of the package car routes for the various freight houses on the system.
Jack

Robert Hanson

Another thought, Mike -

If you're interested in a specific location - i e, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. - a directory from a connecting line would contain the same information.  Such directories usually give the name of the firm, what they ship/receive, on what line they're located, and whether or not they're open to reciprocal switching.  That information doesn't change from railroad to railroad.

Bob Hanson