Topics

locked Walthers F7's

RamblingReck

 I have been looking at purchasing the Walthers F7 models.  The numbers offered, though, do not seem to match the configuration very well.  The models have dynamic brakes and steam generators.  My research shows that A-unit 6717 never had a steam generator and A-unit #6714 never had dynamic brakes.  A-unit #6119 gad a steam generator added in 3/52 and dynamics brakes added in 11/55.  However, roof tanks were also added, probably at the same time as the dynamic brakes.  B-unit #6178 is at least plausable in that it came from the factory equipped with a steam generator with dynamic brakes added in 1954.  The truth is that only a handful of F7 A-units (maybe 5) ever had steam generators.

Am I wrong or am I being too picky.

--
John Ryan

Chris Smith <smittydieseldoc@...>

Remember that most people in China have never seen an American locomotive. Also I have seen manufacturers use the same body shell for different paint schemes,not really researching what is correct for that road.

On Friday, October 26, 2018, RamblingReck <ramblingreck@...> wrote:
 I have been looking at purchasing the Walthers F7 models.  The numbers offered, though, do not seem to match the configuration very well.  The models have dynamic brakes and steam generators.  My research shows that A-unit 6717 never had a steam generator and A-unit #6714 never had dynamic brakes.  A-unit #6119 gad a steam generator added in 3/52 and dynamics brakes added in 11/55.  However, roof tanks were also added, probably at the same time as the dynamic brakes.  B-unit #6178 is at least plausable in that it came from the factory equipped with a steam generator with dynamic brakes added in 1954.  The truth is that only a handful of F7 A-units (maybe 5) ever had steam generators.

Am I wrong or am I being too picky.

--
John Ryan

RamblingReck

What's is really interesting is that none of the other Walthers F7's that I saw had steam generators.  If they had just used dynamic brakes there would have been quite a few suitable matches.  I presume that the SRHA wasn't involved.
--
John Ryan

rwbrv4

Well the problem is that the SRHA has told manufacturers what we have and how we can help, and few take advantage of it .  There's been personal visits to most of the majors literally showing drawings etc.  Sadly some just persist in just throwing a paint job on a shell and expect us to buy it.
Rick Bell

On Sunday, October 28, 2018 RamblingReck <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> wrote:

What's is really interesting is that none of the other Walthers F7's that I saw had steam generators.  If they had just used dynamic brakes there would have been quite a few suitable matches.  I presume that the SRHA wasn't involved.
--
John Ryan

George Eichelberger

John:

Working with Walthers, or other manufacturers is something we always try to do but personnel changes can break our contacts. We did receive a request from Walthers about the F-7s quite some time ago but I do not know if our drawings made it into their production plans.

I think it is correct to say SRHA has provided data for every accurate SR model since before the Model Power E units were produced. We never charge manufacturers for what we provide because we want to contribute to having accurate Southern prototypes available to modelers. All of the Jim King/Gary Wright kits made extensive use of SRHA drawings; more than 50 for the SR bay window cab, I’ve lost track of how many Exact Rail used for their fabulous “Big Johns”. Their new cast steel bulkhead flats are likely using the bulkhead drawings we sent to them with a reminder that they would go perfectly with the flats they already sold.

Sometimes our input effects what they produce. When we were asked to review the artwork for N scale FTs (from SRHA drawings), we reminded the manufacturer that they needed to include road numbers on the nose of the units. (They were on the FTs as delivered, never on passenger units and eliminated when D.W. Brosnan thought they cost too much to maintain.) It turned out Santa Fe units also had them so they were added to the artwork for both roads.

We always respond to Hubert Mask, of Mask Island decals as quickly as possible because he makes an effort to  make items available ASAP. I owe him a stencil drawing for the sliding door brick cars today. As soon as Arrowhead announced their Southern (ex NS) Bethehem 3-bay hoppers and undec kits we sent the drawings for the NS cars to Hubert, he had the decals available within a week!

When the manufacturers invest their time, money and effort in accurate models, it is up to us modelers to support their work by buying those items. If anyone has not seen the Arrowhead hopper, check out their website (then order a few!) We are working with Blain Hadfield of Arrowhead on a CofG/Southern prototype that will fill a niche for anyone modeling those roads plus several others.

When we work with someone on future products, we can never really be certain the model will be produced. They have to allocate their resources to items they think will sell. The larger the manufacturer, like Walthers or Athern, the more “competition” we have for them to produce Southeastern prototype modelers. We can overcome that only by buy what they offer….

Ike

On Oct 28, 2018, at 10:25 AM, RamblingReck <ramblingreck@...> wrote:

What's is really interesting is that none of the other Walthers F7's that I saw had steam generators.  If they had just used dynamic brakes there would have been quite a few suitable matches.  I presume that the SRHA wasn't involved.
--
John Ryan

Don Yelverton

John,
Good to hear from you. I looked at these also. These models are not the Proto series but the Mainline series and maybe comparable the older Proto 1000 series that included the Southern Phase II F3s and the DLs. From what I've read, these F7s do have the Proto chassis so they are probably a step above. Most of the Mainline series models do not have the correct detailing that you would expect to see with the Proto series. I felt they were over priced as well. Most of the Proto units I've looked at appear to be based on a certain time frame resulting in details that Walthers deemed appropriate for whatever reason, be it photos or hear-say. Both Ike and Rick are correct in their statements as well.

Don Yelverton

On ‎Sunday‎, ‎October‎ ‎28‎, ‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎50‎:‎07‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EDT, RamblingReck <ramblingreck@...> wrote:

What's is really interesting is that none of the other Walthers F7's that I saw had steam generators.  If they had just used dynamic brakes there would have been quite a few suitable matches.  I presume that the SRHA wasn't involved.
--
John Ryan

RamblingReck

It just seems like Walthers had to go out of their way to model the steam generators.  None of the other roads (correct or not) had them.

John Ryan

--
John Ryan

Ed Mims

My thought about Walthers is that they don’t worry about the small stuff. The average modeler does not either, so Walthers provides models that sell without caring if it is prototypically correct. This is OK with them as long as they profit from it. It is all about business and that is why they have been successful for 70+ years.

Ed Mims