Topics

moderated Cooling Pipes on Southern E-6s

George Eichelberger

I have always liked how the Southern's modified E-6s looked.. As soon as I saw the Proto 2000 E-6s I have wanted to modify one in the same style.

The pier panels on the body castings Athern uses in their Fs are almost precisely the same (correct) dimension as the panels on the E-6s. After quite a bit of very careful cutting and filing, I am reasonably happy (see photo) with the result. In addition to the modified sides, the roof mounted aftercooler pipes are one of the "signature" parts of the units.

BUT, there is a problem. All other piping on Es and Fs is just piping, the E-6s have 4x4" cooling fins. I can cut dozens of fins from plastic or brass, then drill and mount them on pipes but I am not certain that can be done with the accuracy and appearance anything mounted on a diesel's roof needs. Any ideas?

Ike

D. Scott Chatfield

[In case anyone was wondering if Ike is nuts, here's your evidence....]

Ike wrote:

>BUT, there is a problem. All other piping on Es and Fs is just piping, the E-6s have 4x4" cooling fins. I can cut dozens of fins from plastic or brass, then drill and mount them on pipes but I am not certain that can be done with the accuracy and appearance anything mounted on a diesel's roof needs. Any ideas?

Um, no you can't.  Well, not to the level of accuracy called for in the drawing.  HO fins would be less than .0003" thick.  And then you'd need about 600 of them, and about 598 smaller spacers to keep them spaced properly.

Okay, so maybe there is a way if you'll accept fins about ten times too thick.  Etch the fins and spacers out of .002 brass or stainless.  (I would think aluminum that thin would be too easily mangled.)  64 of those stacked (32 fins and spacers) would be about a scale foot long.  The fins would be 4.5" square.  The spacers more like tiny washers about the width of the pipe.  Slide them on a thin rod, maybe .010"?  You'll still need about 600 of each.  Have fun!  Don't sneeze!

Scott Chatfield

Tim

I think about the only way to do this reasonably is with photo-etched metal. They'll all be the same size and the holes will be centered. Hunt around for someplace that does custom photo-etching. You may be able to get the fins and spacers both in one part. Be warned that the fins won't be thin enough (unless you change to #1 scale) and there will be fewer fins, but it should capture the effect your looking for.

And Ike isn't nuts. He's not trying to do this in N scale (unlike some of us). :)

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

David Friedlander

Ike,
Thanks for posting this.  This was a detail I was hoping to figure out how to do in O scale at some point.

Two questions.
1. Are there any existing good photos of what these look like?
2. The drawing says 1958 on it.  Was this the first year these coils were put on E6 and/or E7 units?

Thanks,
David Friedlander

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 4:15 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
I have always liked how the Southern's modified E-6s looked.. As soon as I saw the Proto 2000 E-6s I have wanted to modify one in the same style.

The pier panels on the body castings Athern uses in their Fs are almost precisely the same (correct) dimension as the panels on the E-6s. After quite a bit of very careful cutting and filing, I am reasonably happy (see photo) with the result. In addition to the modified sides, the roof mounted aftercooler pipes are one of the "signature" parts of the units.

BUT, there is a problem. All other piping on Es and Fs is just piping, the E-6s have 4x4" cooling fins. I can cut dozens of fins from plastic or brass, then drill and mount them on pipes but I am not certain that can be done with the accuracy and appearance anything mounted on a diesel's roof needs. Any ideas?

Ike

Doug Alexander

Edited

Ike,

I'm going through my enormous backlog of emails and happened on this.  I don't know if you found a solution, but if not, why not call the nice ladies at Catzpaw in Griffin.  They do 3-D printing, they might could gin up something for you.

Cheers!

Doug