Topics

locked [ModelingTheSouthern] moloco Southern FGE = "The Beer Car"

George Eichelberger

Mike:

I agree 100%!

People have asked why there is so much “business” data in the Southern 50’ box car book. With the data we have in the SRHA collection, I thought even the “rivet counters” would be interested in knowing why and how the railroad acquired its rolling stock.

People are surprised to hear that almost every SR order for 50’ box cars was for a specific, dedicated shipper. The only “general service” cars purchased were when the Southern decided to enter the “IPD” business with their own fleet. When that concept fell apart, those free running cars were converted to rood hatch services.

I expect every box car order after the 40’ era began with an AFE that described the investment, how the cars would be used, etc. Aside from the financial info, the description of the equipment led directly to the order’s specification and explains how and why cars were set up as they were.

As an example, I’ve attached two draft pages from the second SR 50’ box car book. Note one AFE form is included on the second page. We will condense one section and run it as a TIES article early next year. (A reminder…if anyone would like a copy of the first 50’ box car book (1938-1962), they are less than two dozen copies from going out of print.)

We need to organize and clean up the NCP files at Chattanooga then revisit all that are included in the box car book to made sure we have extracted everything useful. We need to go through that process for the SR passenger car (two volumes) and diesel (draft is more than 400 pages) but that can only happen with some serious help.

I’ll be going up to Chattanooga late this week and again in November.

Ike

On Nov 4, 2018, at 11:58 PM, michael <yardcoolie1968@...> wrote:

Ike,
When I first learned of the NCP folders, the idea occurred to me that a good Ties article would be "How to Build a Southern Railcar."

Having built equipment my entire career, I have sort of taken the whole process for granted. The average Ties reader has no exposure to building equipment of any kind and most only see the result.

The process of going from a proposal, funds allocation, initial specification, project milestones, change orders, product acceptance, et al applied to a specific railcar would expose the Ties reader to an overview of that process and hopefully provide some interesting details about that car.

The NCP files seem to have enough data to support writing such an article.

If this idea seems good, it could be an initial article to introduce the process and a series of articles for selected NCP cars.

If you think it would be of interest, I would volunteer.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

James

Here is a picture of the near complete kit bash for this series FGE car:

Clinic was presented in Winston Salem RPM this year.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

D. Scott Chatfield

You beat me to it, James.  I assume you used Eel River beer car sides?  (That's what I used.) What did you use for the roof and ends?

Scott Chatfield

James

Scott,

I did not use the Eel River car.  I start with the Walthers NACC car and used only the under frame and sides.  The ends and doors are newly cast resin parts.  I have done more work but don’t have pictures yet.

This car was part of the clinic as well.  Which included a new set of decals by Mask Island to get the Evans logo.

Here is a close up of the new door.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

D. Scott Chatfield

James,

How did you build the 529983?

Scott Chatfield

James

Scott,

The 529983 was started from an Accurail  5600 series exterior post car.  I kept the sides and under frame.  The ends are cast resin modifiedfrtm a 5277 end to the smaller size for 529983’s 5029CF size.  The roof is an Athearn Genesis PS bowtie roof available from Cannon & Co.

I picked 529983 because it is the only Southern car I have seen with the Evans AirPak logo. There were 25 or so cars from I think the 33000 series sent to Evans to have the AirPak dividers added and the cars upgraded to 100 ton with a truck change as well.

Wherever I found the pic of 529983 I do not remember, might be George Elwood’s site.
The clinic also included the CofG 3500 series boxcars.

All three cars will be finished on my group page:

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC