locked SRHA Presidents' Files Indexes

George Eichelberger

Now that all of the Southern Railway Presidents' files are in place and accessible in the Chattanooga archives, we can focus on cleaning up and updating the 97 different indexes that cover the 15,000+ files in the SRHA Southern Railway Presidents' files collection.

"Three Example SRHA Presidents' Files":1898 Samuel Spencer, 1942 Earnest E. Norris and 1974 W. Graham Claytor, are available on Google Drive at:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10hXYS79n1cxiC7-p7J0VfPG9N_EwuaqR?usp=sharing

All 97 files are "work in progress" so they are not "pretty", complete or checked for accuracy but these three will provide good examples of the level of detail, and breadth, of the material in the collection. At this point in time, it is not possible for SRHA archives volunteers to respond to research requests or for copies or scans of the material. Until we are better organized, and have the volunteers or paid staff to help, we can only offer to let people go to the archives, help with the files and do their own research.

The Archives work session dates for 2019 are on the home page of the SRHA web site @ www.srha.net

SRHA archives committee members are available for visits to the archives on almost any other date but arrangements need to be made  by email to archives@... to see what can be set up. SRHA and non-SRHA members are welcome. Eventually, we will establish a minimal research fee for non-SRHA members to help defray archives costs.

Ike

PS I have posed this photo before but for anyone who has not seen it, all seven shelves on both sides of this thirty foot aisle contain the files of the Southern Railway Presidents beginning with Samual Spencer as the Southern Railway System was being created.

Marv Clemons

George,

I regret I've not yet visited the new archive, but would like to commend you and your "staff" of capable volunteers for your outstanding work. The SRHA archive will be a model for any historical society to emulate.

Best wishes for happy and productive New Year!

Marv Clemons