locked Southern FP-7 Details

SouRwyFan

Hi all,

I am working on a project and trying to gather info on FP-7's.

Anybody got dimensions or drawings of rooftop piping? (Were they cooling coils or air lines up there?)
Also what about location of backup headlight and other details of rear of units?
I know it's a stretch but what about painting diagram/Spec sheet?

Thanks!
RS

O Fenton Wells

I know Bob Harp did one of these  on the old Southern Modeler site.  Check to see if it is still there.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

milepost 131

File section  of the Yahoogroup migrated to groups.io has drawings.

George Eichelberger

There does not appear to be any drawings of rooftop cooling pipes for FP-7s in the SRHA archive scans. As many early photos of Southern FP-7s do not show the pipes, I expect they were added after delivery by the Southern. If that is correct, the shops may have simply used the drawings created for E-6 and E-7s. I have uploaded one of them before so here is a different, DL-3253, showing how the rooftop pipes were connected to the engine cooling systems. Most of the E-6 pipes had fins to increase their heat dissipation but plain pipes appear to have been used later (a cost consideration as the finned pipes were a special purpose?)

Ike

On Feb 7, 2019, at 6:59 PM, SouRwyFan via Groups.Io <blackaerocoupe@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I am working on a project and trying to gather info on FP-7's.

Anybody got dimensions or drawings of rooftop piping? (Were they cooling coils or air lines up there?)
Also what about location of backup headlight and other details of rear of units?
I know it's a stretch but what about painting diagram/Spec sheet?

Thanks!
RS

D. Scott Chatfield

As far as I know the long cooling pipes mounted alongside the radiator fans were aftercooler pipes between the air compressor and the main reservoir.  Sounds like the finned pipes on the E6s and E7s had a different purpose.  Remember, the radiators on the early Es were nothing like those on the Fs or E8s.

My understanding is the aftercooler pipes were a retrofit offered by EMD after being made standard on the F9.  So perhaps installed after 1954.  Many railroads added them to their earlier Fs.

In HO, I think Bowser sells an aftercooler pipe assembly for F units.

Scott Chatfield

Gary Bechdol

Highliners also has aftercooler
pipes for F-units.

Gary

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019, 4:18 PM D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@... wrote:
As far as I know the long cooling pipes mounted alongside the radiator fans were aftercooler pipes between the air compressor and the main reservoir.  Sounds like the finned pipes on the E6s and E7s had a different purpose.  Remember, the radiators on the early Es were nothing like those on the Fs or E8s.

My understanding is the aftercooler pipes were a retrofit offered by EMD after being made standard on the F9.  So perhaps installed after 1954.  Many railroads added them to their earlier Fs.

In HO, I think Bowser sells an aftercooler pipe assembly for F units.

Scott Chatfield

Justin May

Southwest Scale Productions offers HO scale FP7-F9 after cooler piping for sale which is also sold by Highliners.

Justin May

On Feb 9, 2019, at 14:59, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

As far as I know the long cooling pipes mounted alongside the radiator fans were aftercooler pipes between the air compressor and the main reservoir.  Sounds like the finned pipes on the E6s and E7s had a different purpose.  Remember, the radiators on the early Es were nothing like those on the Fs or E8s.

My understanding is the aftercooler pipes were a retrofit offered by EMD after being made standard on the F9.  So perhaps installed after 1954.  Many railroads added them to their earlier Fs.

In HO, I think Bowser sells an aftercooler pipe assembly for F units.

Scott Chatfield
<DL-3253 cooling sys mod E6 & E&_B.jpg>