Topics

locked Southern 72747

George Eichelberger

Here are three photos of Southern 70-ton hopper 72747 derailed and on its side just outside the mine at the very north end of the Roda or Stonega Interstate mine spurs. The tipple is uphill to the left. The switch, like a safety track, was normally set for the siding to keep cars from running away down the valley. Although rails had been removed to insure cars were derailed, note one photo taken from the other end shows the siding curving off to the left. We did not walk that line but I suspect it was a derail or safety track rather than a lead to another mine.

I just noticed the photos of derailed Sou 72747 show the knuckles removed from both couplers. Is that some kind of universal “sign” that the car is permanently out of service?

Ike

Dick Fisher

Ike,

The Stonega line ends at the Wentz mine and transloader.

Dick

On 3/17/2019 11:08 AM, George Eichelberger wrote:
Here are three photos of Southern 70-ton hopper 72747 derailed and on its side just outside the mine at the very north end of the Roda or Stonega Interstate mine spurs. The tipple is uphill to the left. The switch, like a safety track, was normally set for the siding to keep cars from running away down the valley. Although rails had been removed to insure cars were derailed, note one photo taken from the other end shows the siding curving off to the left. We did not walk that line but I suspect it was a derail or safety track rather than a lead to another mine.

Ike

Kevin Centers

Ike

I noticed that too. Suspect they took whatever was easily reusable and left the rest. When was the derailment?

Kevin

On Mar 17, 2019, at 3:52 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@bellsouth.net> wrote:

I just noticed the photos of derailed Sou 72747 show the knuckles removed from both couplers. Is that some kind of universal “sign” that the car is permanently out of service?

Kevin:

One of the local fans told us the railroad hired a contractor periodically to salvage the coal and scrap the cars. Other than rust on the wheels, there was no way to tell how long the car laid there but it had been some time.

The gate onto mine property was a short distance past the switch points beside a public road. The tipple was maybe 1/4 mile inside the fence so the car must have built up some speed before it was diverted. I do not know if it would be considered a "derailment" as far as the Southern was concerned?

I took multiple rolls of Kodachrome while a group of us from Tampa and N.C. railfanned the area. What seemed like an excessive number of slides then was really nothing when we realize how much coal mining has declined in SW Virginia.

Ike

PS Kevin Centers is the SRHA Treasurer and a BOD member. A volunteer 501c3 organization simply cannot function without good financial records and controls, Kevin provide both......

mike turner

In the picture SOU72747_3.tif, the brake step appears to be a slotted Apex design. Is this correct?

Did all the SOU 70t 3bay AAR hoppers use this brake step?

There appear to be hopper door locks only on one side. Is this normal?

The brake rigging has a cover over part. Was this normal SOU practice?

Thx.

Mike

MP-Z35