From: Ed Mims <wemims@...>
To: main <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Apr 9, 2019 9:36 am
Subject: [SouthernRailway] JIM CROW AND THE RAILROADS

Attached is the outline of a presentation made at the RPM meeting at Cocoa Beach in 2016 by two excellent railroad historians, Noomi Peterson and Jim Murrie. Their contact information is shown on Page 2. This was an excellent presentation which is well documented and professionally done. They presented the FACTS with no apparent axe to grind. Perhaps someone in this group can forward this to a contact at the Smithsonian for their use. I think Ms. Peterson and Mr. Murrie would be very pleased to help get the facts to anyone who might inquire.

Note that the Central of Georgia was the first railroad to end segregation on passenger trains.

Ed Mims

Ed Mims

Michael Young,

I believe you need to know the date of the publication of the time table that the reserved seat statement was published and the date that segregation was ended. They might have over lapped. I do not have that information but do know about the time table wherein the notation you refer to was published. I do not have the time table with the bold face note.

My collection of public time tables and Official Guides is small but I do have a Winter 1962-1963 Central of Georgia public time table and it does not refer to reserved seats on the Nancy Hanks in any manner. The Winter 1959-1960 time table contains the sentence: “Deluxe Reclining Seat Coaches—Seats reserved for white passengers.” under the schedule for the NANCY HANKS. Sorry that I can’t offer more information. Perhaps someone on this list can tell us more.

The Southern Railway took control of the Central of Georgia in June, 1963 also.

Ed Mims

In my 1963 ORG, the CofG has a boldface note in the Nancy Hanks schedule:  "Reserved Coach Seats for White Passengers Only."