locked Low side gons

Jim King

Bill … glad you recorded the former SOU numbers on the remaining 6 ESHR gons.  That’s important when determining heritage.  These cars had a very long-running history, some starting in 1924 as 9-rib bodies and lasting into the 90s in MOW service (the last 2 cars I show were in 1992 rolling thru Swannanoa with loads of ties).  The ends are the key to understanding some of their heritage; the road numbers “finish the investigation”, IMO.  I’m sure TVRM will accurately restore these cars now that the last road numbers are known.  If they need help with those projects, let me know and I can send hi-rez pix to the “point person”.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

A&Y Dave in MD

When were the ‘24 gons converted FROM 9 ribs?  Is that the ‘45 rebuild?

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Aug 6, 2019, at 6:27 PM, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Bill … glad you recorded the former SOU numbers on the remaining 6 ESHR gons.  That’s important when determining heritage.  These cars had a very long-running history, some starting in 1924 as 9-rib bodies and lasting into the 90s in MOW service (the last 2 cars I show were in 1992 rolling thru Swannanoa with loads of ties).  The ends are the key to understanding some of their heritage; the road numbers “finish the investigation”, IMO.  I’m sure TVRM will accurately restore these cars now that the last road numbers are known.  If they need help with those projects, let me know and I can send hi-rez pix to the “point person”.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

Jim King

Not all 9-ribbers were rebuilt in 1945; some lasted as-built well into the 60s based on photos.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

C J Wyatt

Any hope of producing a kit of the un-rebuilt  car?

Jack

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 12:32:05 PM EDT, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Not all 9-ribbers were rebuilt in 1945; some lasted as-built well into the 60s based on photos.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

A&Y Dave in MD

Jack has a more direct way of getting to the point...so I’ll follow his lead:

Anything for 1934?

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Aug 7, 2019, at 12:40 PM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

Any hope of producing a kit of the un-rebuilt  car?

Jack

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 12:32:05 PM EDT, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Not all 9-ribbers were rebuilt in 1945; some lasted as-built well into the 60s based on photos.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

Dan Miller

I'll add to Jack and Dave's interest in an un-rebuilt gon kit.

Dan Miller

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 10:35 AM A&Y Dave in MD <dbott@...> wrote:
Jack has a more direct way of getting to the point...so I’ll follow his lead:

Anything for 1934?

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Aug 7, 2019, at 12:40 PM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

Any hope of producing a kit of the un-rebuilt  car?

Jack

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 12:32:05 PM EDT, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Not all 9-ribbers were rebuilt in 1945; some lasted as-built well into the 60s based on photos.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

C J Wyatt

The question is scale. Jim King knows that my interest is S, presumably David and Dan are HO and Jim has re-entered the O-scale market.

Jack Wyatt

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 02:14:04 PM EDT, Dan Miller <danieljmiller@...> wrote:

I'll add to Jack and Dave's interest in an un-rebuilt gon kit.

Dan Miller

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 10:35 AM A&Y Dave in MD <dbott@...> wrote:
Jack has a more direct way of getting to the point...so I’ll follow his lead:

Anything for 1934?

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Aug 7, 2019, at 12:40 PM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

Any hope of producing a kit of the un-rebuilt  car?

Jack

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 12:32:05 PM EDT, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Not all 9-ribbers were rebuilt in 1945; some lasted as-built well into the 60s based on photos.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

Jim King

Speedwitch is the only other source for HO Southern low side gon kits besides mine (that were sold only thru SRHA).  Like most of Speedwitch’s kits, you have to find them on the secondary market.  Ted’s was a 9-rib version with 2-rib ends and suitable for 1924-ish into the 70s in MOW service.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

A&Y Dave in MD

I am a 1/87 scale modeler.

The problem with Speedwitch kits is that they aren't making any (Ted has a full time job in NY and I don't want to wish him to be unemployed again, even if it would mean more kits).

I only have one of each, and the kit boxes read 1937 and 1938 build dates.  I have no idea what keeps them from being used for earlier versions, but I am guessing it is "cast in" to the kit body, not just a detail, or the box would claim the cars go back to the earliest build dates of '24.   I'll have to get them out and see if I can compare to the photos on the Duke University construction archive (there are several SOU low side gons from late '20s era in that archive--the only photos from the era I've seen except for the one fuzzy one in the Southern Railway Handbook).

Dave

jimking3@...> wrote:

Not all 9-ribbers were rebuilt in 1945; some lasted as-built well into the 60s based on photos.

Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC

Jim King

Dave … I have a few pix of 9-rib gons; 2 show 1938 and 1941 built dates.  It’s been a LONG time since I researched the 11-rib gon (when I produced the HO kit in 2006) so don’t know if ALL of the 1924-blt 9-ribbed cars were rebuilt to 11 ribs in 1945.  The 9-ribbed car had unique ends … just a flat plate with 2 formed horizontal ribs.  I’ve photographed 11-rib gons in MOW service that clearly show a 1924 build date despite having the 1945 Dreadnaught + darts end.  No mention of 1945 on those cars.  As with all modeling, it’s best to find photos to verify what you want … drawings and “lists” tend to get forgotten during updating, especially when the cars are moved to MOW service.