locked Southern B36-7

WR

Bob

I was hoping you would chime in. I guess I should have waited a few minutes more before typing my last reply. Thank you for the info and also confirming my conclusion on GE delivering all 6 with white boards.

As I stated the Rapido models all have the white boards and they all have 3 antennas. This is a minor mistake in my opinion and easily corrected. I have only had them for 2 days, but I would give Rapido a 9 out 10 for their effort. It seems that regardless of the manufacturer, mistakes are made. Some easily corrected, others not so. As a long time Southern modeler I can recall a time when the only way to get a Southern model was to kitbash it or scratch build it. So I will take what becomes available and fix the bugs.

Thanks again for your expertise on Southern motive power.

Walt

WR

Thanks Scott for the info. I have the Southern Motive Power 68-82 book, but was (still) confused by it listing only 3815 and 3816 as RC equipped units. The Paul Withers Southern Motive Power 1939-1982 book has a photo of 3818 with 3819 trailing with both units wearing white number boards. Caption on photo dated April 2, 1981 at Ludlow, KY states units were on their first run on home rails. Builders date is 3/81 so they were fresh from GE. Both upper and lower baffles are present on 3818. After more research today, I have located photos of all 6 units with white numbers boards. But as you stated I cannot see the additional firecracker antennas on 3818. A photo on Tom Daspit's site dated July 12,1981 shows 3816 with white number boards and 3 antennas followed by 3820 also with white number boards but with only one antenna visible on the cab. 2 more photos found on the RR pictures archive site by Bernie Feldman dated Nov 22, 1981 at Atlanta GA show 3815 white boards and 3 antenna followed by 3818 with black boards. The other photo shows 3816 with white boards and 3 antenna followed by 3820 with black boards. Also of interest in these two photos are the exhaust stacks of 3815 and 3816 covered in plastic wrap. Probably all 6 units were there at the same time. Conclusions from this photo trail can lead one to believe that all 6 B36-7's were delivered from GE with white number boards regardless of Locotrol equipment installed. A mistake by GE similar to the lettering style on the U30C's.
From the two Bernie Feldman photos one can assume that the units were being shopped at Atlanta to correct these mistakes 8 months after being delivered.

My modeling period is late Sep early Oct of 1981, so I guess I am safe leaving the white boards on all 3 units, but the additional antennas on 3818 and 3819 will have to go. :-)

Walt

Robert Graham

SOU B36-7 3815, 3816 were equipped with Locotrol and had the 3  antennas on the roof. The Locotrol equipment was deactivated in 3815-3816 circa 1984. The 1985 NS form 1014 shows these 2 equipped only with provision for Locotrol, but no longer active or capable as leaders.

SOU 3817-3820 were never so equipped.

GE erred upon delivery in 1981 and all 6 (3815-3820 ) were delivered incorrectly with white number boards with black numerals, documented photographically. SOU quickly corrected this mistake and 3815-3816 only were shortly after delivery the only 2 with the proper white number boards indicating Locotrol master. The other 4 went to the proper black number board with white numerals.

The B36-7's were delivered in 1981; the NS merger occurred June 1982. The NS adopted the N&W number board standard of white with black numerals. After several years, former SOU locomotives that had been equipped with black number boards with white numerals began having the new standard of NS white number boards installed. When a former SOU locomotive was seen with the white number boards, it would raise the attention of the casual observer to think it was Locotrol equipped. This era can be confusing to the modeler and locomotive historian regarding number board color and what it means. Just "finding a photo" is only useful if the date it was made is known to be able to view it in proper context.

I have not seen a Rapido B36-7, so can not comment on how well other details were replicated. But, I can state that Rapido and its representatives were made fully aware of the full array of SOU B36-7 details and peculiarities prior to production.

Bob Graham