Topics

locked Vertagreen tank cars

Marv Clemons

Back in the mid-60s Southern routinely handled several tank cars of Vertagreen liquid fertilizer on the rear of Nos 7 & 8, the KC-Florida Special, between Brunswick GA and Birmingham AL.  Does anyone know the history of these cars, more specifically the points of origin and destination?

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

Robert Hanson

Marv - 

I recall seeing waybills on similar cars and the origin station was Vertagreen, AL.  Obviously, this was one of those stations that was, by rulebook definition, a place identified by name on the timetable, and not a town.

What the actual billing point was, I do not recall.

Bob Hanson

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Dec 13, 2019 9:13 am
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Vertagreen tank cars

Back in the mid-60s Southern routinely handled several tank cars of Vertagreen liquid fertilizer on the rear of Nos 7 & 8, the KC-Florida Special, between Brunswick GA and Birmingham AL.  Does anyone know the history of these cars, more specifically the points of origin and destination?

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

Carl Ardrey

Vertagreen is Cherokee,AL.  Still in operation and a large customer.
CEA

On Dec 13, 2019, at 9:25 AM, Robert Hanson via Groups.Io <RHanson669@...> wrote:

Marv - 

I recall seeing waybills on similar cars and the origin station was Vertagreen, AL.  Obviously, this was one of those stations that was, by rulebook definition, a place identified by name on the timetable, and not a town.

What the actual billing point was, I do not recall.

Bob Hanson

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Dec 13, 2019 9:13 am
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Vertagreen tank cars

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

C J Wyatt

Marv, 

The May-June 1998 issue of Ties has an article on the railroad owned tank cars used, but does not have much to say about them being pulled on the end of passenger trains:

Trains Magazine, if I recall, had an article about riding the last heavyweight Pullman line (Atlanta-Brunswick) where the tank cars on the rear are mentioned.

I have also seen a video showing the tank cars on the KC - Florida Special near Birmingham.

Jack Wyatt

On Friday, December 13, 2019, 10:13:17 AM EST, Marv Clemons <mclemonsjr@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

George Eichelberger

Marv:

There was a full article on these cars in TIES magazine a few years ago. Someone needs to help find which issue.

It has always been unusual for any railroad to own revenue tank cars. There were two groups of 100T capy cars blt by ACF and GATX, painted Southern freight car brown. They were in captive service between Rockland, FL and Vertagreen, near Sheffield, AL. (Rockland was east of Mulberry, FL off SR 60). I lived in Sarasota and Brandon at the time so I was able to photograph them parked beside the highway quite often.

The attached photo of Sou 323 was taken at Chattanooga 8-93 long after the Vertagreen service ended. They could not be used to ship flammable materials (like diesel fuel) so they were used to store used oil at Citico (and probably other shops).

Ike

On Dec 13, 2019, at 10:13 AM, Marv Clemons <mclemonsjr@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

Justin May

Here is a useful website documenting Rockland. It was an old mine from the 1920s and finally shut down in 1994. These shipments would have also been handled by SCL locally prior to 1983.

Rockland Mine was located north along State Road 630 West and east of CR555 in Ft. Meade, Florida (3225 State Road 630 West).

The mine was a property of U.S. Agri Chemical and was a Phosphoric Acid plant after playing out the phosphate deposit.

Justin May

On Dec 13, 2019, at 18:21, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Marv:

There was a full article on these cars in TIES magazine a few years ago. Someone needs to help find which issue.

It has always been unusual for any railroad to own revenue tank cars. There were two groups of 100T capy cars blt by ACF and GATX, painted Southern freight car brown. They were in captive service between Rockland, FL and Vertagreen, near Sheffield, AL. (Rockland was east of Mulberry, FL off SR 60). I lived in Sarasota and Brandon at the time so I was able to photograph them parked beside the highway quite often.

The attached photo of Sou 323 was taken at Chattanooga 8-93 long after the Vertagreen service ended. They could not be used to ship flammable materials (like diesel fuel) so they were used to store used oil at Citico (and probably other shops).

Ike
<Sou 323-2.jpeg>

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

George Eichelberger

The service pre-dated SCL, the tank cars were originally stenciled to return to Rockland on the ACL. Note attached photo of Sou 341 stored at the food terminal in Chattanooga, the “ACL” stencil is quite visible.

Also note the car has a full center sill, a feature of the ACF cars, the GATX cars were frameless.

The cars were rubber lined to carry phosphoric acid. The lining was a maintenance problem, particularly when men went inside the tank to clean out sludge…..using a pick and shovel….duh!

Ike

On Dec 13, 2019, at 7:50 PM, Justin May <westpointroute@...> wrote:

Here is a useful website documenting Rockland. It was an old mine from the 1920s and finally shut down in 1994. These shipments would have also been handled by SCL locally prior to 1983.

Rockland Mine was located north along State Road 630 West and east of CR555 in Ft. Meade, Florida (3225 State Road 630 West).

The mine was a property of U.S. Agri Chemical and was a Phosphoric Acid plant after playing out the phosphate deposit.

Justin May

Marv:

Ike
<Sou 323-2.jpeg>

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

Ed Mims

If I recall correctly these are the cars that were routed from the Bone Valley to Waycross then put behind the caboose on a manifest freight to Savannah and cut off on the fly at Jesup,GA. The ACL/SCL Jesup switcher would then deliver them to the Southern.

Ed Mims

On Dec 13, 2019, at 6:21 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Marv:

Ike
<Sou 323-2.jpeg>

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

George Eichelberger

Ed:

Do you recall if the routing via Jessup continued after the SCL merger? Prior to that, the interchange between the ACL and Southern was at Tiftton, GA, nothing was done through Jax. The Tifton-not-Jacksonville scheme went back to the original Sou ACL trackage rights agreement from Hardeeville/Savannah to Jax.

The Southern wanted several thnings in the SCL merger, one was to interchange with the SCL at Jacksonville. The ICC denied that so the SR went to court. Thagt was the only condiiton they managed to get.

There are Extensive files on the SCL merger in the SRHA archives.

Ike

On Dec 14, 2019, at 8:46 AM, Ed Mims <wemims@...> wrote:

If I recall correctly these are the cars that were routed from the Bone Valley to Waycross then put behind the caboose on a manifest freight to Savannah and cut off on the fly at Jesup,GA. The ACL/SCL Jesup switcher would then deliver them to the Southern.

Ed Mims

Marv:

Ike
<Sou 323-2.jpeg>

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

Ed Mims

Ike, I don’t recall others routings for the “phosphoric acid tanks” as they were called. I learned about this from an ex-Southern superintendent who became Supt. of Mine Service for ACL in the Bone Valley after he was fired once too many times on the Southern. His first name was Terry but I can’t recall his last name.

I spent a good bit of time with him in my early days on the ACL. He was very helpful to me.

Ed

On Dec 14, 2019, at 9:32 AM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Ed:

Do you recall if the routing via Jessup continued after the SCL merger? Prior to that, the interchange between the ACL and Southern was at Tiftton, GA, nothing was done through Jax. The Tifton-not-Jacksonville scheme went back to the original Sou ACL trackage rights agreement from Hardeeville/Savannah to Jax.

The Southern wanted several thnings in the SCL merger, one was to interchange with the SCL at Jacksonville. The ICC denied that so the SR went to court. Thagt was the only condiiton they managed to get.

Ike

Ed Mims

Marv:

Ike
<Sou 323-2.jpeg>

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

C J Wyatt

I believe the Kansas City - Florida Special was gone by the time of the SCL merger, so the Jessup routing would have no longer had a service advantage. 

Jack Wyatt

On Saturday, December 14, 2019, 09:32:51 AM EST, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Ed:

Ike

Ed Mims

Marv:

Ike
<Sou 323-2.jpeg>

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

Marv Clemons

Thanks, gents, for the plethora of information on the Vertagreen movements.  From your responses I've learned the shipments originated in Rockland, Florida and were routed Waycross-Jesup-Birmingham-Sheffield-Vertagreen, AL.

For forensic purposes, I've attached a copy of the morning consist copied at BT on June 26 1965 showing the tank cars coming in on the rear of #7.  I'm sure you'll recognize the other Southern consists, along with #33, SAL's Silver Comet.

I switched these cars on the rear of #7 & 8 while working the towers at Birmingham and Atlanta terminals. It was really strange seeing them tacked on to the rear of the heavyweight Pullman out of Atlanta. But this was the Brosnan era when passenger trains had become primarily mail, express, and in this case, expedited freight carriers.

Regards,
Marv

Justin May

Ike,
Thank you for the images and the follow-up information on the routing of these tanks. I have seen the cars denoted as return to "SCL", but the "ACL" definitely adds more interest. Does anyone have a general arrangement diagram for these cars? The full length center sill and welded construction are definitely a unique features that could be modeled. I know SOU 992454 at Spencer is one of the members of this series. 

Justin May

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 8:57 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
The service pre-dated SCL, the tank cars were originally stenciled to return to Rockland on the ACL. Note attached photo of Sou 341 stored at the food terminal in Chattanooga, the “ACL” stencil is quite visible.

Also note the car has a full center sill, a feature of the ACF cars, the GATX cars were frameless.

The cars were rubber lined to carry phosphoric acid. The lining was a maintenance problem, particularly when men went inside the tank to clean out sludge…..using a pick and shovel….duh!

Ike

On Dec 13, 2019, at 7:50 PM, Justin May <westpointroute@...> wrote:

Justin May

Marv:

Ike
<Sou 323-2.jpeg>

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

Ed Mims

A few more UBI’s:

I’m pretty sure the routing on ACL was Lakeland to High Springs and DuPont to Waycross then on to Jesup.

I was told that they were rubber lined for phosphoric acid service. I assume this was true.

Ed

D. Scott Chatfield

> Does anyone have a general arrangement diagram for these cars? The full length center sill and welded construction are definitely a unique features that could be modeled. I know SOU 992454 at Spencer is one of the members of this series. 

These tanks are shortened versions of the diesel fuel tanks ACF built for the CB&Q and GN in the mid '60s.  In other words, Athearn's "62-foot tank car".  The tank barrel might be a tad slimmer.

I couldn't find a GA drawing for them in my ca-1970 GA book.  Something else to look for in the archives.  Couldn't make it this week.  Hope to be there next month.

Merry Christmas!

Scott Chatfield

Ryan Harris

I don't know if they are the same as the Southern tank cars, but Burlington Northern inherited several 19,000 gallon tank cars from Northern Pacific. Many of them were converted to fuel tenders in the 80s. A folio diagram showing the general arrangement and overall measurements of the original NP tank cars can be found on the GN NP joint archive.

An article appeared in Model Railroader in the late 80s that showed how to shorten one of the Athearn 62' tanks to match the ex-NP tanks more or less. I have followed this article and used the folio diagram from the GN NP archive to shorten and modify two Athearn tanks but instead of cutting and splicing the underframe I 3D printed a new one to match the shortened tank barrel. I still haven't finished the models with the plumbing of the locomotive air brake equipment being the holdup. It was pretty easy to get to the point I'm at with these models now.

If one was inclined to build a non-fuel tender tank car following the MR article and just omit the fuel tender parts it's a simple conversion.  

--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, TX

C J Wyatt

I wonder how the returning empties were handled?

On Saturday, December 14, 2019, 10:18:46 AM EST, Marv Clemons <mclemonsjr@...> wrote:

Thanks, gents, for the plethora of information on the Vertagreen movements.  From your responses I've learned the shipments originated in Rockland, Florida and were routed Waycross-Jesup-Birmingham-Sheffield-Vertagreen, AL.

For forensic purposes, I've attached a copy of the morning consist copied at BT on June 26 1965 showing the tank cars coming in on the rear of #7.  I'm sure you'll recognize the other Southern consists, along with #33, SAL's Silver Comet.

I switched these cars on the rear of #7 & 8 while working the towers at Birmingham and Atlanta terminals. It was really strange seeing them tacked on to the rear of the heavyweight Pullman out of Atlanta. But this was the Brosnan era when passenger trains had become primarily mail, express, and in this case, expedited freight carriers.

Regards,
Marv

Justin May

Ryan,
These tanks are roughly 14,500 gallons, so the principles of the
kitbash would not change, but there would be a bit more material to
remove. The saddles are the same design as well. Is the underframe
printing available to the public via Shapeways? I was thinking of
using Plano and styrene to build a new running board in lieu of using
the Athearn part.

Justin May

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 1:19 AM Ryan Harris <ryan.harris@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I don't know if they are the same as the Southern tank cars, but Burlington Northern inherited several 19,000 gallon tank cars from Northern Pacific. Many of them were converted to fuel tenders in the 80s. A folio diagram showing the general arrangement and overall measurements of the original NP tank cars can be found on the GN NP joint archive.

An article appeared in Model Railroader in the late 80s that showed how to shorten one of the Athearn 62' tanks to match the ex-NP tanks more or less. I have followed this article and used the folio diagram from the GN NP archive to shorten and modify two Athearn tanks but instead of cutting and splicing the underframe I 3D printed a new one to match the shortened tank barrel. I still haven't finished the models with the plumbing of the locomotive air brake equipment being the holdup. It was pretty easy to get to the point I'm at with these models now.

If one was inclined to build a non-fuel tender tank car following the MR article and just omit the fuel tender parts it's a simple conversion.

--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, TX

Ryan Harris

Yes, it is available:

http://shpws.me/OO8B

It's set up for truck spacing of approximately 5.1" and an overall length of 6.54". Again, that's based on the article where the author took two inches of length out of the Athearn 26K tanks. It's also set up so that etched material can be installed on the walkway supports. Here's an in-progress photo of the car showing the walkway:

https://pbase.com/mecrharris/image/166690293

If anyone can provide me with the truck centers of these Southern cars I can easily cut the CAD file to the correct length and post it for sale.

--
Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, TX

George Eichelberger

All of the general arrt and detail drawings for both the ACF and GATX versions are in the SRHA archives. The Gen Arr’ts and stencil drawings are scanned. I am just back from this weekend’s archives work session. When I get semi-organized, I’ll post some downsized versions.

I don’t have a photo of the model, but years ago I cut down an Athern LP gas tank car and came up with a reasonable HO version. The tank car decals/stencils were standard Southern sizes and look quite good on a freight car brown 100-T tank car.

Ike

PS The “F-Card” (drawing list) and Specifications for just about ALL of the Southern’s freight equipment is now scanned and loaded on the network file server. The F-cards represent 4,122 page scans and the Specs are 5,114 scanned pages. There are thousands of freight car drawings scanned.

SRHA’s plan is to make all of that available, but we have not figured out how much they should cost, different prices for SRHA members and non-members, if we should let (major) donors have access to everything scanned or what. We would appreciate any idea or comments.

On Dec 15, 2019, at 12:49 AM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

> Does anyone have a general arrangement diagram for these cars? The full length center sill and welded construction are definitely a unique features that could be modeled. I know SOU 992454 at Spencer is one of the members of this series. 

These tanks are shortened versions of the diesel fuel tanks ACF built for the CB&Q and GN in the mid '60s.  In other words, Athearn's "62-foot tank car".  The tank barrel might be a tad slimmer.

I couldn't find a GA drawing for them in my ca-1970 GA book.  Something else to look for in the archives.  Couldn't make it this week.  Hope to be there next month.

Merry Christmas!

Scott Chatfield