locked St. Louis line

James Walton

I'm planning on modelling the L&N St. Louis Division - but not really, I can explain. As far as I know, the L&N interchanged with the Southern at Belleville and Mount Vernon in Illinois and Evansville in Indiana. Does anyone know what locomotives and traffic were common on the Southern's St. Louis line in the late 40s-early 50s?

C J Wyatt

Ks 2-8-0 steam locomotives, light Pacific's on the passenger trains, and  EMD F-units on the through freights. I believe that one of the branches used Ms 2-8-2's which had to be brought in over the L&N because the Southern bridges on the main were not strong enough.

Jack Wyatt

On Friday, December 13, 2019, 01:10:54 PM EST, James Walton <whovianwil@...> wrote:

I'm planning on modelling the L&N St. Louis Division - but not really, I can explain. As far as I know, the L&N interchanged with the Southern at Belleville and Mount Vernon in Illinois and Evansville in Indiana. Does anyone know what locomotives and traffic were common on the Southern's St. Louis line in the late 40s-early 50s?

Bill Schafer

IIRC, Prince said the Ms Mikados, which were legit on the Evansville and French Lick branches, ferried to the rest of the system via West Baden-Monon-Louisville.

—Bill Schafer

On Dec 13, 2019, at 9:09 PM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

Ks 2-8-0 steam locomotives, light Pacific's on the passenger trains, and  EMD F-units on the through freights. I believe that one of the branches used Ms 2-8-2's which had to be brought in over the L&N because the Southern bridges on the main were not strong enough.

Jack Wyatt

On Friday, December 13, 2019, 01:10:54 PM EST, James Walton <whovianwil@...> wrote:

I'm planning on modelling the L&N St. Louis Division - but not really, I can explain. As far as I know, the L&N interchanged with the Southern at Belleville and Mount Vernon in Illinois and Evansville in Indiana. Does anyone know what locomotives and traffic were common on the Southern's St. Louis line in the late 40s-early 50s?

C J Wyatt

Thanks for the correction, Bill. That's what I get for not looking it up. Do you recall when the first diesel road-switcher's were assigned?

Jack

On Friday, December 13, 2019, 10:11:26 PM EST, Bill Schafer <bill4501@...> wrote:

[...]

I’ll (try to remember to) look it up when I get home next week.

On Dec 13, 2019, at 10:26 PM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles Powell

James,
As others have mentioned the Ms class Mikes were used on the branches and at least from Huntingburg to Princeton on the main line as Princeton was the main shop for that division. One of those Ms Mikes that ended its SR career in 1948 at Princeton was 4501. As far as road switchers the Fairbanks Morse H16-44s which arrived in 1950 & 1951, were initially used on the St. Louis line. On my one visit in the 80s to Huntingburg yard I was surprised by the fair sized steel,  two track locomotive shop building. Most small outlying Southern locations after steam had lost their roundhouses and only had engine service tracks and no shop buildings. The General Foreman told me that when the FMs first arrived the plan was to keep them on that division and the shop was set up for that purpose. In just a few years Southern switched to concentrating all of the road locomotive maintenance inspections at Chattanooga and Atlanta and the FMs migrated away.

I donated to the SRHA archives a set of bound volumes of "Ties" that I inherited from my parents. They covered from around 1948 to 1955. I recall at least one photo of a train with H16-44s identified as being in Indiana in one of those magazines.
Charlie Powell

James Walton

Thank you for the information everyone.

As I say, I'm not quite modelling the L&N. I'm modelling a scenario where the NC&StL managed to acquire the St. Louis & Southeastern rather than the L&N, and lease the Central of Georgia. This would give the NC a line from St. Louis to Atlanta, and the L&N a line from Cincinnati to New Orleans and Atlanta. The NC would use the C&EI to get to Chicago, while the L&N would probably use the Monon.

This leaves the L&N allied with the ACL and Monon, and the NC with the CoG and C&EI. Does anyone know of any allies the NC could pick up against the L&N.

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019, 19:35 Charles Powell <charlesspowell@...> wrote:
[...]

D. Scott Chatfield

I've enjoyed the info as well.  This is probably the one Southern mainline I know the least about.  I don't recall ever seeing an article about it in the railfan press (Trains, R&R, CTC Board, etc).

I drove along the line from Mt. Vernon to Louisville last year on a rainy Sunday.  Only saw one intermodal train.  The engine shed at Huntingburg is still there.  Most of the line is very tree'd in so it would be easy to miss a train.  And southern Indiana is quite hilly so the line is quite curvy.  West of Princeton it's rather flat with lots of long tangents.

I was surprised to find a small grain elevator at Golden Gate, Illinois which had a single grain hopper spotted.  I gather they ship single carloads to packagers of bird seed.

Hopefully I can make another drive along that line in better weather and catch more trains.

Scott Chatfield

James Walton

Does anyone know if the H24-66s ever worked on the St. Louis line?