locked Clay hoppers and the "cousin" Chip hoppers

David Payne

From personal observation, I don't think so, but the same "drop bottom ~ ratchet and pawl" arrangement was used on converted forty-foot boxcars (roof removed and sides extended about two feet) in the same mid-sixties period.

These cars had slope sheets installed on the ends toward the first set of drop bottoms and had a rope attached to one end near the top ... how do I know? ...

Interestingly, the end of the B end of the car had an access opening cut in it.  These were just unique cars!

Let me add that in the early days of chip service (late fifties), it wasn't unusual for any 70 ton 3-bay hoppers to be used for chip service.  Central's first "Chip Service" cars were these cars with some even specially lettered for chip service, but it didn't take long before fifty were rebuilt with extended sides.  I think this was done in Columbus, but it could have been in Macon.  CG series 101-150.

DPayne
Georgia

In a message dated 1/13/2020 7:58:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, sam_smith2004@... writes:

These cars were used in wood chip service?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:32 PM, David Payne via Groups.Io
<davidcofga@...> wrote:
In a message dated 1/13/2020 3:22:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, blindog@... writes:

The Southern had a bunch of modified 3-bay open hoppers for clay service.  These are the ones with sorta-clamshell doors held closed by chains that were wrapped around spools on the carside.  I gather they mostly were used in the Carolinas.

These cars were also "common" in Georgia in the mid-sixties and early-seventies between the clay pits northwest of Rome to brick manufacturers in the Columbus and Macon areas.

David Payne
Georgia