locked Southern Wood Chip Service Hoppers

Ike,

I’ve attached a photo I took in May of 1996.  I just don’t remember where I took it.  I was living in Charlotte at the time and somewhat likely that’s where I was.  Anyway, it shows the ‘wood chip loading only’ stenciling on the bottom ridge of the car.  I feel sure this car fits in your category.

Ed Locklin at mp367.

Sent from my Dell XPS 420.

Jim King

The trucks under Ed’s shot of 73648 appear to be 40-ton, maybe 50-ton, capacity most likely left over from scrapped 40-ft boxcars.  The car’s 70-ton capacity is likely impossible now it’s in chip hauling service.  A 70-ton Barber-type truck would have 2 springs in the front row, 3 in the 2nd row and 2 in the inner row.  40-tonners have just 2 rows of 2 springs each while a 50-ton version has a 5th springs in the middle of the 4-spring array.

Maybe the lighter-than-clay (or coal) chip loads is the reasoning behind swapping old plain bearing trucks with lighter-duty RB’s.  Even soaking wet, chips wouldn’t approach 70-tons.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/