locked Charleston Union Station

George Eichelberger

There have been multiple conversations on the SouthernRailway.io group that describe the extent of the material in the SRHA archives. Although it will never be possible to make even a small portion of the archives available on-line, as people may be spending more time at home than usual we have uploaded an entire file on Charleston Union Station to Google Drive. Anyone interested in the subject can do their own “primary research” on what is probably an unknown aspect of Southern Railway history.

The following link to Google Drive contains 183 individual scans of letters and newspaper clippings beginning with the fire that destroyed Charleston Union station January 10, 1947 continuing to 1954. Maps and photos of Charleston are located in other files.

Please note that this is probably a one-time upload of an entire file. We simply do not have the volunteer manpower to repeat it. For anyone interested in this level of research, consider joining or donating to the SRHA archives.

Also, please provide your comments….

Ike

SouRwyFan

Wow, interesting reading!
It opens lots of questions in my mind.
What cars were used as the coach station, each time?
Did they go back into service afterwards?
How long did the new Southern station last?
Is it still standing or did it past into history like the Union station?
Kind of peaks your interest on the subject quickly.

Thanks for sharing Ike

George Eichelberger

I expect the coaches were 1400 series cars the Southern never planned to rebuild. The answer may be in the “passenger” equipment spreadsheet populated with info from the ICC records. A passenger car, ICC account 54, would have been changed to account 16 “Station and Office Buildings” about the time they were placed at Line St.

The drawing of the “depot” in the file you downloaded was from “Ripleys Believe it or Not”. The fluting on the drawing was never on any Southern hwt coach.

As you may have seen, for the locals rebuilding a Union Station may have been more about getting tracks off of the peninsula than building a new depot. The Southern, with only one passenger train at the time, did not care to spend the money and the Coast Line wanted to use only their N. Charleston station to avoid the backup move to the Union Station site.

Ike

On Mar 15, 2020, at 4:30 PM, SouRwyFan via Groups.Io <blackaerocoupe@...> wrote:

Wow, interesting reading!
It opens lots of questions in my mind.
What cars were used as the coach station, each time?
Did they go back into service afterwards?
How long did the new Southern station last?
Is it still standing or did it past into history like the Union station?
Kind of peaks your interest on the subject quickly.

Thanks for sharing Ike

George Eichelberger

I forget this was in the SRHA digital files!

Ike

On Mar 15, 2020, at 4:30 PM, SouRwyFan via Groups.Io <blackaerocoupe@...> wrote:

Wow, interesting reading!
It opens lots of questions in my mind.
What cars were used as the coach station, each time?
Did they go back into service afterwards?
How long did the new Southern station last?
Is it still standing or did it past into history like the Union station?
Kind of peaks your interest on the subject quickly.

Thanks for sharing Ike

Marv Clemons

Would a similar file possibly exist on Birmingham Terminal Station?  I know there are scattered documents in the President's and engineering files, but it would be wonderful if a single file had been kept.

Marv Clemons