Topics

locked Proto2000 Southern Boxcars


Allen Cain
 

Old subject but my memory is fading for some reason?

Was the P2K boxcars painted for the Southern accurate to any prototype?  I have several plus some undecorated kits that I am finally getting around to.

Thanks,

Allen Cain


O Fenton Wells
 

Don't know I don't have any
Fenton

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 3:40 PM Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:
Old subject but my memory is fading for some reason?

Was the P2K boxcars painted for the Southern accurate to any prototype?  I have several plus some undecorated kits that I am finally getting around to.

Thanks,

Allen Cain



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...


Ken Vandevoort <apo09324@...>
 

I have two of the 50' Automobile Box Car kits SOU 42010 and 42022.  I don't know if they are accurate, but this is what the instructions say: "For this prototype, four roads had straight side sills (CB&Q, NKP, SRR, SP) and two roads had notched side sills (ATSF & NYC).  The body is correct for the straight side sill version; if you are modeling CB&Q, NKP, SRR or SP no modification to the body is needed."

Ken Vandevoort


O Fenton Wells
 

Are these the P2K kits?  The first SR 50 ft DD boxcars were 10'-0" IH and you have to kit bash these.  Theo others can be made with the P2K kit see attached chart.
Also attached is a photo of 2 50 boxcars (Bob's Photos) showing different side sill arrangements.  The first one 39242 was taken in the early '50's as can be seen by the reweigh date.  This car has pretty much the original side sills.  as the cars aged they added bracing as can be seen by the second photo (1955 or later) of 39592 with the added side sill.  Depending on the era you model you need to be aware of the side sill length and depth.
Hope this helps
Fenton

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 7:50 PM Ken Vandevoort via groups.io <apo09324=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have two of the 50' Automobile Box Car kits SOU 42010 and 42022.  I don't know if they are accurate, but this is what the instructions say: "For this prototype, four roads had straight side sills (CB&Q, NKP, SRR, SP) and two roads had notched side sills (ATSF & NYC).  The body is correct for the straight side sill version; if you are modeling CB&Q, NKP, SRR or SP no modification to the body is needed."

Ken Vandevoort



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...


George Eichelberger
 

Could we try to direct modeling questions, comments and answers to the "ModelingTheSouthern" group? I responded on that group rather than here on the "prototype" SR group.

Ike


Tim
 

Is there a seperate modeling group here on groups.io? The title of this group, if you look at the Home page is:

Southern Railway Historical and Modeling Information Interchange

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC


George Eichelberger
 

Tim:

Quite true, “ModelingTheSouthern@groups.io” is a subgroup. I don’t like the .io set-up as the subgroup is not obvious. You have to join them separately.

I am both a modeler and a “historic” type. We know the modelers always feel a bit out of the loop with historical groups and societies and the non-modelers may not be interested in less than 12”/1’. Us having two groups let us work with both…

Ike


On May 5, 2020, at 9:57 AM, Tim <tarumph@...> wrote:

Is there a seperate modeling group here on groups.io? The title of this group, if you look at the Home page is:

Southern Railway Historical and Modeling Information Interchange

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC


Byron Osborn
 

Ike, the link leads to an email to be sent.  what is the link to the subgroup.


Robert Graham
 

Fenton,

I checked and found I have a couple of the LifeLike SOU 50 ft doubledoor end door equipped auto boxcars. As you have been assisting with questions on the suitability of these cars as accurate SOU models, but indicated you were not familiar withthese models, I took the liberty of unboxing and photographing them, along with the portion of the instruction sheet that provides specific steps for modelers to more accurately represent specific named RR's. The SOU cars are included in these specific modification steps.

I hope these 5 poor cell phone photos give a little more light to these cars and LifeLike's model kits.

Bob Graham  

-----------------------------------------

From: "O Fenton Wells"
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Tuesday May 5 2020 9:05:59AM
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Proto2000 Southern Boxcars

Are these the P2K kits?  The first SR 50 ft DD boxcars were 10'-0" IH and you have to kit bash these.  Theo others can be made with the P2K kit see attached chart.
Also attached is a photo of 2 50 boxcars (Bob's Photos) showing different side sill arrangements.  The first one 39242 was taken in the early '50's as can be seen by the reweigh date.  This car has pretty much the original side sills.  as the cars aged they added bracing as can be seen by the second photo (1955 or later) of 39592 with the added side sill.  Depending on the era you model you need to be aware of the side sill length and depth.
Hope this helps
Fenton

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 7:50 PM Ken Vandevoort via groups.io <apo09324=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have two of the 50' Automobile Box Car kits SOU 42010 and 42022.  I don't know if they are accurate, but this is what the instructions say: "For this prototype, four roads had straight side sills (CB&Q, NKP, SRR, SP) and two roads had notched side sills (ATSF & NYC).  The body is correct for the straight side sill version; if you are modeling CB&Q, NKP, SRR or SP no modification to the body is needed."

Ken Vandevoort



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...