locked Asheville/S-Line Traffic

Tim

My time period is 1974. I like EMD -2s and there was still a passenger train on the line then.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

George Eichelberger

Tim:

We have a number of Asheville Div train sheets from the early 1940s, they show an amazing number of trains on the River Line west of Asheville. As a Division Point, Asheville handled trains on the S Line and the A&S not to mention servicing locos from those lines and the Murphy Branch.

I don’t know what dates you are interested in so I’ve uploaded the latest full resolution System Tonnage Map for 1958 vs 1957. It’s a big .tiff file but it downloads quickly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aVM_-FpdDTlg0OlV38bamtjuIgL0djiY/view?usp=sharing

The presentation I mentioned is primarily about John Sevier Yard but Asheville is mentioned several times, if enough people are interested it could be one of the first we record and put on line.

Ike

On May 19, 2020, at 1:53 PM, Tim <tarumph@...> wrote:

Hello Ike;

As another modeler of the Southern lines in North Carolina (in my case, the S line from Spencer/Salisbury to Morganton) this doesn't surprise me as much as you might think. I have the good fortune to have a number of train orders issued along this line and I have evidence of eastbound freight trains running in as many as four sections. When additional westbound trains were needed they were generally run as extras.

It's kind of lost in that blob between Salisbury and Charlotte, but I wonder about the tonnage between Statesville and Charlotte on the O line. I've heard that there were some monster trains run on this line and I have at least one order for an engine to display signals and run as First No 148 from Asheville to Statesville. I presume that from there it would go to Charlotte down the O Line.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Tim