locked Single or Double Track

Allen Cain

I realize that this is a VERY general question.

In 1955 would the Southern main lines be predominantly single or double track?

Washington to Atlanta?

Bristol to Chattanooga?

Others?

Thanks,

Allen Cain

Sam Smith

Allen,
I don't know if it is a "main line", but the old G.S.&F. Line through south Georgia is single......but does have passing sidings south of Sycamore and on north side of Valdosta.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 8:31 AM, Allen Cain
<Allencaintn@...> wrote:
I realize that this is a VERY general question.

In 1955 would the Southern main lines be predominantly single or double track?

Washington to Atlanta?

Bristol to Chattanooga?

Others?

Thanks,

Allen Cain

George Eichelberger

Allen:

The SR was quite proud of it s double track, so much so the maps in the PTTs show it…

Here’s two from the 1954 PTT.

Ike

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:31 AM, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

I realize that this is a VERY general question.

In 1955 would the Southern main lines be predominantly single or double track?

Washington to Atlanta?

Bristol to Chattanooga?

Others?

Thanks,

Allen Cain

Jason Greene

I have often found it odd that the AGS coming north into Birmingham warranted double track, the CNO&TP north of Chattanooga was double track, and the Main from Atlanta to Washington was double track, but the AGS from Chatty to Bham and the GP from Atl to Bham were both single track. What happened to all the traffic between Birmingham and the other two cities? I know the GP was twisted and hilly but they could have made it double track if it was warranted. The AGS was relatively flat and straight.

Jason Greene

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 9:46 AM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
Allen:

The SR was quite proud of it s double track, so much so the maps in the PTTs show it…

Here’s two from the 1954 PTT.

Ike

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:31 AM, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

I realize that this is a VERY general question.

In 1955 would the Southern main lines be predominantly single or double track?

Washington to Atlanta?

Bristol to Chattanooga?

Others?

Thanks,

Allen Cain

Tim

I think it likely that the traffic feeding into Atlanta, Birmingham, and Chattanooga on the double track was divided over several routes at those cities, or was for places located there (especially Atlanta and Birmingham).

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC