From: michael DUNNINGTON <cvlwrnut@...>
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Feb 1, 2021 12:55 pm
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Steam Decal Artwork

Friends:
I have two questions.........
1.  Several years ago, someone (Donnie Dixon, I think) offered artwork for SOU steam decals, to be printed for personal use.  Are these still available, and where can I find them?
2.  Back when I printed them, the black-background, freight, decals "disappeared" when applied to a locomotive/tender.  I had to paint white the areas where decals were to go in order for them to show up.  I'm wondering if I used the wrong (clear) inkjet decal paper, or if there is a way to only print the numbers, letters, etc, and not the black background??
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Michael Dunnington
St. Louis, MO, area

Michael Roderick

Mike:

Donnie has released more stuff including updates on the decals. I have CC him in on this email so you can ask him those questions.

Mike Roderick

You could open the image file in a graphics editing app, and use a color selection tool to select the black background area, then delete it, or replace the black pixels with white (which is basically the same thing).  That would remove the black background and leave the letters/numbers.  You may have to experiment with the selection tool's sensitivity setting, to make sure you get a clean edge to the letters/numbers.

Mike Young

From: michael DUNNINGTON <cvlwrnut@...>
Date: 2/2/21 2:09 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io, main@SouthernRailway.groups.io

Adrian:
Thanks for the info.  I've not yet heard from Mr. Dixon, but hoping he'll reach out to me.
I'm wondering if he'd be willing to allow HighBall Graphics to run some sets of the steam decals?  That sounds a whole lot easier than trying to find a functioning ALPS.  I just want a few sets for my personal use, but there might be other folks out there who'd buy them if available.
Thanks again,
Michael

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 03:09:19 PM CST, Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton <abridgemansutton@...> wrote:

Michael

I have the artwork if you still need it, but since Donnie has been
copied he'll probably sort you out very quickly.

Printing decals to work on black backgrounds normally requires you to
use a special printer that can lay down a perfectly registered opaque
white backing for the coloured inks . Inkjets and laser printers only
use transparent inks and rely on the white paper to show the colours -
if you apply them on a dark surface the decal will simply disappear.
If you know someone who has an old ALPS printer which is still in
working order, that is one way, but they are getting a bit thin on the
ground, being rather old technology and rather fragile to boot.  If
you are really into printing your own, there's quite a market in
refurbished ALPS printers in Japan, and a strong enthusiast community
but it's certainly not a hobby for the impecunious.

Companies like HighBall graphics can do custom runs in reasonably
small batches, which would still be a lot cheaper than finding,
recommissioning and learning to use an old ALPS.

HTH
Aidrian

> 1.  Several years ago, someone (Donnie Dixon, I think) offered artwork for SOU steam decals, to be printed for personal use.  Are these still available, and where can I find them?
> 2.  Back when I printed them, the black-background, freight, decals "disappeared" when applied to a locomotive/tender.  I had to paint white the areas where decals were to go in order for them to show up.  I'm wondering if I used the wrong (clear) inkjet decal paper, or if there is a way to only print the numbers, letters, etc, and not the black background??
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
> Michael Dunnington
> St. Louis, MO, area

michael DUNNINGTON

Dave:
Is it possible for others of us to buy sets of those decals you’ve had printed by HighBall Graphics??
Michael

On Feb 2, 2021, at 3:14 PM, cajordan2 <cajordan2@...> wrote:

Michael,

If you do have some printed, I would definitely like to buy a few sets.

Chad

Thanks for the info.  I've not yet heard from Mr. Dixon, but hoping he'll reach out to me.
I'm wondering if he'd be willing to allow HighBall Graphics to run some sets of the steam decals?  That sounds a whole lot easier than trying to find a functioning ALPS.  I just want a few sets for my personal use, but there might be other folks out there who'd buy them if available.
Thanks again,
Michael

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 03:09:19 PM CST, Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton <abridgemansutton@...> wrote:

Michael

I have the artwork if you still need it, but since Donnie has been
copied he'll probably sort you out very quickly.

Printing decals to work on black backgrounds normally requires you to
use a special printer that can lay down a perfectly registered opaque
white backing for the coloured inks . Inkjets and laser printers only
use transparent inks and rely on the white paper to show the colours -
if you apply them on a dark surface the decal will simply disappear.
If you know someone who has an old ALPS printer which is still in
working order, that is one way, but they are getting a bit thin on the
ground, being rather old technology and rather fragile to boot.  If
you are really into printing your own, there's quite a market in
refurbished ALPS printers in Japan, and a strong enthusiast community
but it's certainly not a hobby for the impecunious.

Companies like HighBall graphics can do custom runs in reasonably
small batches, which would still be a lot cheaper than finding,
recommissioning and learning to use an old ALPS.

HTH
Aidrian

> 1.  Several years ago, someone (Donnie Dixon, I think) offered artwork for SOU steam decals, to be printed for personal use.  Are these still available, and where can I find them?
> 2.  Back when I printed them, the black-background, freight, decals "disappeared" when applied to a locomotive/tender.  I had to paint white the areas where decals were to go in order for them to show up.  I'm wondering if I used the wrong (clear) inkjet decal paper, or if there is a way to only print the numbers, letters, etc, and not the black background??
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
> Michael Dunnington
> St. Louis, MO, area

A&Y Dave in MD

I believe so.  Note that I created custom sets based upon my need. Those are not generic 0-6-0 decals but specific to the 1684 in Greensboro. And I added an A&Y roadname just for fun since I toyed with using it. The A&Y paid a share of the upkeep since it switched for both it and the parent Southern. But I only have one of these Tenshodo engines and decided it needed to be as accurate as I could, at least in lettering.

I also created a Mikado set for 4560, that ran on the Winston-Salem Division in 1934. And an 8x10 decal set that can letter 26 individual A&Y freight locomotives and at least 3 cabs rented from the Southern with A&Y lettering.

Jim at Highball has the artwork. Tell him to ask me if there is any concern and I’ll give permission again.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Feb 2, 2021, at 5:55 PM, michael DUNNINGTON <cvlwrnut@...> wrote:

Dave:
Is it possible for others of us to buy sets of those decals you’ve had printed by HighBall Graphics??
Michael

On Feb 2, 2021, at 3:14 PM, cajordan2 <cajordan2@...> wrote:

Michael,

If you do have some printed, I would definitely like to buy a few sets.

Chad

Thanks for the info.  I've not yet heard from Mr. Dixon, but hoping he'll reach out to me.
I'm wondering if he'd be willing to allow HighBall Graphics to run some sets of the steam decals?  That sounds a whole lot easier than trying to find a functioning ALPS.  I just want a few sets for my personal use, but there might be other folks out there who'd buy them if available.
Thanks again,
Michael

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 03:09:19 PM CST, Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton <abridgemansutton@...> wrote:

Michael

I have the artwork if you still need it, but since Donnie has been
copied he'll probably sort you out very quickly.

Printing decals to work on black backgrounds normally requires you to
use a special printer that can lay down a perfectly registered opaque
white backing for the coloured inks . Inkjets and laser printers only
use transparent inks and rely on the white paper to show the colours -
if you apply them on a dark surface the decal will simply disappear.
If you know someone who has an old ALPS printer which is still in
working order, that is one way, but they are getting a bit thin on the
ground, being rather old technology and rather fragile to boot.  If
you are really into printing your own, there's quite a market in
refurbished ALPS printers in Japan, and a strong enthusiast community
but it's certainly not a hobby for the impecunious.

Companies like HighBall graphics can do custom runs in reasonably
small batches, which would still be a lot cheaper than finding,
recommissioning and learning to use an old ALPS.

HTH
Aidrian

> 1.  Several years ago, someone (Donnie Dixon, I think) offered artwork for SOU steam decals, to be printed for personal use.  Are these still available, and where can I find them?
> 2.  Back when I printed them, the black-background, freight, decals "disappeared" when applied to a locomotive/tender.  I had to paint white the areas where decals were to go in order for them to show up.  I'm wondering if I used the wrong (clear) inkjet decal paper, or if there is a way to only print the numbers, letters, etc, and not the black background??
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
> Michael Dunnington
> St. Louis, MO, area

George Courtney

I don't know how accurate they are, but K-4 Decal's just released a set of decals for Southern Steam.

George Courtney

O Fenton Wells

I’ve had good luck with K4 but admit I’m not the go to guy on the accuracy of prototype vs decal lettering.
I’ll have to scope out the K4 SR offerings
Fenton

On Feb 9, 2021, at 7:43 PM, George Courtney via groups.io <gsc3@...> wrote:

I don't know how accurate they are, but K-4 Decal's just released a set of decals for Southern Steam.

George Courtney

David Friedlander

While i'm not in the market for these, I did read on facebook that those decals are gold colored, but are not metallic (gold leaf) gold, in case that matters.

David Friedlander

On Feb 9, 2021, at 7:43 PM, George Courtney via groups.io <gsc3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I don't know how accurate they are, but K-4 Decal's just released a set of decals for Southern Steam.

George Courtney

O Fenton Wells

Yes they were called dulux gold. That lasted much better on the cars and locomotives that the gold leaf
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Doug Alexander

I got a couple of sets, and they look pretty good.  Not as sharp an edge as you'd get from an ALPS, but perhaps as good as silk-screening can be.  I really like the addition of Alco and Baldwin builder's plates, tho I'd have preferred more than they sent.
--
Doug Alexander
Atlanta

michael DUNNINGTON

They don’t include classification data for engineer’s side, nor the red warning signs for locomotives with stokers.
Michael Dunnington