locked Atlanta Terminal Station - Redrawing Station Plans?

John Stewart

Hi Ike and all,

I believe my Grandmother!  Happened in Pittsburgh, drawings came from Duquesne Power Co where he was a construction engineer.  But likely started a lot earlier in Indiana where he was a railroad construction engineer.

Grin.

John Stewart

Birmingham, AL

George Eichelberger

John:

Arrrgh…I have heard that before but was hoping it was a railfan myth.  I heard the Secretaries at the DC headquarters would ask the Engineering people for old drawings they could take and wash the starch out of for handkerchiefs during WWII. The linen was/is very high quality.

Ike

PS The next archives work session is Fri and Sat July 16 and 17. (There are a LOT of Southern and Central of Ga linens in the collection. The CofG drawings are so nicely done, they are really “artwork”.)

On Jul 5, 2021, at 1:51 PM, John Stewart <jstew@...> wrote:

Hi folks

Love those old linen drawings.

My grandmother used to make all my grandfather’s handkerchief from discarded engineering drawings.

John Stewart
Birmingham, AL

John Stewart

Hi folks

Love those old linen drawings.

My grandmother used to make all my grandfather’s handkerchief from discarded engineering drawings.

John Stewart

Birmingham, AL

George Eichelberger

There are at least 46 partial drawings of the Atlanta Terminal Station building in the SRHA archives. As they were all scanned from old microfilm, none are in perfect condition and there is no guarantee we have every part of the original drawings. The subject certainly warrants an effort to re-draw or reconstruct the drawings.

If anyone is interested in taking on a large project, contact us at archives@....

Here is one example (lower resolution jpeg, the scans are all higher res tiffs.):

Ike