locked FM H24-66 Train Masters

Charles Powell

Gary,
I lived by the Knoxville to Oakdale line of the Southern in Knox County until we moved to Chattanooga in 1964 when I was 10. I remember FMs mixed with other units on trains going to Knoxville. I can't say for sure if what I saw were the H24-66 Train Master or the smaller H16-44. That was long before I started learning locomotive details. What caught my eye was the difference in the radiator section design of the FM's. I suppose if they got to Knoxville they might have gone on to Ashville on occasion.

Later after I was working with Southern I made a trip to Huntingburg, Indiana where I was surprised by the sight of a fair sized steel shop building. It was much more substantial than most small engine terminals on the Southern. The General Foreman told me that it was intended to be the primary maintenance shop for the FM fleet but plans changed and FM were assigned to Chattanooga Diesel Shop.
Charlie

David Eisman

Interesting to see the H-24s in Louisville as I thought that these CNO & TP locomotives would stay on the Cincinnati line.  Did the H 24s go to St Louis?
Thanks,
David

On Nov 10, 2021, at 12:12 PM, WR <ratholer138@...> wrote:

I have this photo that I found online several years ago. Photographer unknown. I believe it was offered for sale on ebay.

Info with photo stated the location as Sunbright TN dated September 1955.

Hope this helps.

Walt Rieger

Covington, LA

<4268_X5159_Sep55_SunbrightTN.jpg>

WR

I have this photo that I found online several years ago. Photographer unknown. I believe it was offered for sale on ebay.

Info with photo stated the location as Sunbright TN dated September 1955.

Hope this helps.

Walt Rieger

Covington, LA

Gerald Robinson

Here is an example of a Southern FM H24-66 Train Master being sandwiched between to two EMD F "A" units on the CNO&TP main line at Sunbright, Tenn. probably in the 1950s (green paint scheme) from the Tom Daspit collection.

Gerald Robinson