locked 53ft 1975 Greenville Steel Car Gondola

D. Scott Chatfield

Mike, back in February I explained to the Modeling The Southern list (a sublist of this list) how I kitbashed an old Walthers/Heljan Thrall gon into a Greenville.   It is titled Workbench Wednesday #5.  Frankly, it's probably easier to scratchbuild one.

Here's some useful dimensions taken off SOU 66087:

The ribs are 3.25" wide by 5" deep, and they are 6.5" wide over the flanges.  The top chord is made from 6x8 tube, and the corner posts are 4x8.  The wide panels at the ends are 52" wide while the rest are 34.75" plus or minus .125".  The depth of the drop in the sidesill is 8".  The sides are 66" tall at the corners (from the top of the chord).

The side panel widths are from rib center to rib center, except the endmost panels which are rib center to the inside face of the corner post.

The ends are 120" wide over the corner posts and 126" over the top chord.  They are made from a Pullman-style "sorta sine wave" end with the swells 12" apart.  The ladders are 20" wide with a nominal 13" rung spacing.  They have drop grabs.  The brake wheel's center is set in 45" from the outside of the corner post.

Should get you started.

Scott Chatfield

Mike K <mkingery@...>

Ike,

Thanks for the info.  I will work from my photos and scale it from those and known dimensions.

Mike

George Eichelberger

Southern 70-T 52’-6” high side gons were built on New Car Program (NCP) 149 by Greenville Steel Car as their Lot 1101 in 1975. The General Arrangement drawing is Greenville 37115, stencil drawing is GSC 37134.

By 1975, the Southern was re-drawing or tracing very few drawings. Because of that, there do not appear to be any SR produced “SF” prefix drawings for these cars. Although the SRHA archives contain virtually all of the SF series and carbuilders’ General Arrangement, Brake and Stencil drawings, not all of the carbuilder drawings, including these, have been scanned.

We scanned nearly 200 large format drawings on the new ($7,000) scanner at this weekend’s work session. Our ability to organize and scan is limited by the number of people that come to the work sessions. They are the third weekend (Fri & Sat) of every month at the SRHA/L&NHS/TVRM archives in Chattanooga.

Ike

On Dec 17, 2021, at 10:37 AM, Mike K <mkingery@...> wrote:

I would like to create a model of a 1975 vintage Greenville Steel Car Gondola.  Number series 66090-66699, AAR Type E534.  Some are still in use for MW service and have been seen around my home area.  What are good resources for basic dimensional details to help me get the model as reasonably correct as possible?  Something like a single page drawing with overall dimensions, maybe rib placement, etc.  Published books, SHRA archives in Chattanooga, elsewhere?

I am working toward 3D design and printing of this car and possibly future cars for my HO scale layout.

Thanks for any ideas.

Mike Kingery
Madison, AL

Mike K <mkingery@...>