locked standard bricks

Craig Myers

don't think so

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> on behalf of mike turner <michaellturner@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 10:27:05 PM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Subject: [SouthernRailway] standard bricks

Did Southern have a standard brick size or sizes?

--
Mike Turner
MP-Z35

John Willis

his from the web:

"According to the Brick Industry Association, the most common brick sizes range from 31/2" x 21/4" x 7 5/8" to 3 5/8 x 3 5/8 x 11 5/8" as measured by Depth x Height x Length. Manufacturers produce bricks to their own specifications but generally fall within these commonly produced sizes."

Casa W here in Mobile was sheathed with bricks from the Henry Brick Company. Lots of choices. You should never give a woman that many choices. It took my wife a couple of months and much agonizing  ( and agitation on my part ) to choose the Mission Brick that is now 50 years old. Henry Brick Company was started in 1945 in Selma, Al.  I did a brief search and found that Acme Brick in Texas, the oldest company still doing continuous business started in 1892. Bricks are one of man's earliest building materials. I know that Monticello was built with bricks made on site, as many early buildings were done.

 Many, many, many homes here are done with "Old Brick" - a recovered brick that has a very appealing mottled pattern. I can't recall when or where I've seen a "red brick" building, although I'm sure they are here. Brick is a great material, but cost quite a bit now - what doesn't?

John

John C. Willis

Love brick, Al

Warren Stephens

David Steinberg wrote the definitive history of Chattanooga Terminal Station. It has been typeset but has yet to be printed. I am fortunate to have an unbound loose-leaf copy. He goes into detail about where the bricks were sourced. I don't recall any notion of a standard brick or a standard vendor. Interesting question.

Warren

On Thursday, January 27, 2022, 10:27:14 PM EST, mike turner <michaellturner@...> wrote:

Did Southern have a standard brick size or sizes?

--
Mike Turner
MP-Z35

mike turner