From: ModelingTheSouthern@SouthernRailway.groups.io <ModelingTheSouthern@SouthernRailway.groups.io> On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2022 18:13
To: ModelingTheSouthern@southernrailway.groups.io; main@southernrailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ModelingTheSouthern] RE Prince book reprints

Any takers?

Ike

On Jun 18, 2022, at 7:57 PM, George Eichelberger <GEICHELBERGER@...> wrote:

Jack:

If someone (several people?) want to take on the project, I think it’d be an excellent idea! Some things to consider….

The book was written in pre-word processing days so there is not a soft copy version of the text. I have not looked through the Prince materials file cabinet in a long time but I recall there are quite a few of the text and diagram sections in their offset printing form. (Looks like black letters on a transparent background, almost like a negative that was “burned” on a photo sensitive printing plate using a very bright (carbon arc?) light. Those could be scanned and placed on a page as part of a PDF for printing. (Worked in a print shop some in the early 60s. Everything was done with offset printing or Linotype (hot metal). The pages of an existing book can be scanned, OCRd and set if desk top publishing software (I use Adobe Creative Suite @ $20/mo for a Macintosh.)

There may be photos of the diagram book pages but it would be easier to simply make new scans..I expect we have all of the diagram books he used..or close to it.

No one would make photos for publication by making plates by taking photos of photos through a fine screen as was done. I seem to remember the “resolution” of the screen used was about 150 lines per inch. (Photos for a newspaper were done at lower screen rates but I don’t remember the number…75?. The good news is that my estimate of 80-90% of the photos used are in Chattanooga. (Prince, like many authors of the period, simply borrowed photo prints, made the screen prints and returned the photos to their owners.) There are photis in the Prince files that were not returned, probably made from extra prints. We also have many of the same photos in the KImsey, Ben Roberts, Dale Roberts, and other collections.

Probably doable but needing people to do the work. SRHA has all of the technology needed plus a 142TB of network accessible memory that can be accessed by many people in a collaborative effort. (Not everyone would ever have to do to the archives and could work remotely.) Initial printing costs would have to come form donations, SRHA does not have a large “publications” budget but it could (?) be done.

Ike

On Jun 18, 2022, at 5:56 PM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

Since the SRHA has the intellectual property rights, what about a revised Prince edition? I fear by the time a brand new Southern steam book is written, most potential readers will be gone.

Jack Wyatt

On Saturday, June 18, 2022, 05:08:59 PM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Let me add one more "thing".....

I expect SRHA now has the largest collection of Southern steam loco negatives and prints anywhere...ever. (Including maybe 80-90% of the photos used in both the Prince book and Southern Steam Power). Plus, we have accumulated many steam ("SL" prefix and earlier) drawings to add the the significant collection TVRM has.

If someone was serious (!!) about writing a book on Southern Steam, using mostly original negatives, come to one of the Archives work sessions and see what we have. (If not a work session, come to the joint SRHA/L&NHS/RPM at TVRM 9-30/10-1).

Ike

C J Wyatt

Ike, like Kyle, I have some projects I need to take care of before making a commitment.

The first task, I think, would be to assess the situation with the photographs. I don't see this as being a detail book like the Ties articles were. There will be room for that in later books. The information about locomotive classes could be enhanced a bit and perhaps be better organized. Some Prince books have information about the facilities devoted to steam, but that is pretty much absent from the current Southern book. It might be good for the new edition. I also would like to see the line history part enhanced some with more details about situations such as the formation and demise of the Queen & Crescent. Maybe we need to get the interested people together and decide what needs to be done and then divide up the tasks.

Just a few quick thoughts.

Jack

On Monday, June 20, 2022, 06:13:15 PM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

[...]

Kyle Shannon

I’d personally love to in the future, Ike, just have to finish up a project or two first.

Kyle