Topics

locked Atlanta Terminal, was Re: [SouthernRailway] Turntables

C J Wyatt

Steve,

Atlanta Terminal Station was on Spring Street, just up from then Southern offices in Atlanta. Attached is a map from the 1934 study.

Hope this helps.

Jack Wyatt

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 11:14:17 AM EDT, Steve Ellis via groups.io <meadowbrookdairy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Where was the Atlanta terminal station located? Was it on Peachtree Street?

Steve Ellis
Brooklyn NY

Robert Hanson

I believe the address was 85 Spring Street.

The Southern Railway office buildings were at 99 and 125 Spring Street.  The Southern (or Norfolk Southern) built an additional building at 185 Spring in the 1980's, I think.

The Richard B. Russell Federal Office Building occupies the site of Atlanta Terminal Station today.

Bob Hanson
Loganville, GA

Atlanta Terminal Station was on Spring Street, just up from then Southern offices in Atlanta. Attached is a map from the 1934 study.

Hope this helps.

Jack Wyatt

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 11:14:17 AM EDT, Steve Ellis via groups.io <meadowbrookdairy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Where was the Atlanta terminal station located? Was it on Peachtree Street?

Steve Ellis
Brooklyn NY

Steve Ellis

Thank you very much, Jack. I appreciate the information.

On Oct 9, 2020, at 1:26 AM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

Steve,

Atlanta Terminal Station was on Spring Street, just up from then Southern offices in Atlanta. Attached is a map from the 1934 study.

Hope this helps.

Jack Wyatt

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 11:14:17 AM EDT, Steve Ellis via groups.io <meadowbrookdairy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Where was the Atlanta terminal station located? Was it on Peachtree Street?

Steve Ellis
Brooklyn NY

<Atlanta Union and Terminal Stations 1934.jpg>

John Stewart

Hi folks

Wonderful map!

My first engineering assignment in 1974 was to look at an over height boxcar wedged under Mitchell st viaduct, am evaluate damage to the old bridge.

John Stewart
Birmingham, AL

John Stewart

Hi again folks

On retrospect, I don't think it was the Mitchell Street viaduct...  Maybe Forsyth St.

Only been 46 years...

John Stewart
Birmingham, AL

C J Wyatt

Close enough!

Jack

On Saturday, October 10, 2020, 11:57:35 AM EDT, John Stewart <@bhamrails> wrote:

Hi again folks

On retrospect, I don't think it was the Mitchell Street viaduct...  Maybe Forsyth St.

Only been 46 years...

John Stewart
Birmingham, AL

Robert Hanson

Mitchell Street.

Forsyth Street runs parallel to the railroad.

Mitchell crosses it on the Mitchell Street Viaduct.

Bob Hanson
Loganville, GA