locked Birmingham AL

Charles Harris

Hi
Just for interest sake is the main railroad on attached doc Southern Railway or all possibly L&N ?    Tallking 1940-50s.       I do not have any knowledge of this area.

Note that there was a siding or a transverse thru the Ingalls Iron Works factory in Birmingham AL.  Still there ??

Thanks
Charles

John Stewart

HI folks

Ingalls Iron Works in Birmingham is gone c.2006.  There is a good video of the empty plant on YouTube by Anderson Williams and friends.

https://youtu.be/zFMj-tT4vD0

2005 imagery from Google Earth Pro.  It was adjacent to the L&N mainline just SW of downtown Birmingham, and just west of I-65 at University Drive.

I’ve always understood that the locomotive was built in Pascagoula, MS, but I’m no expert on the subject.

John

John R Stewart

www.bhamrails.info

205-901-3790

image004

Just for interest sake is the main railroad on attached doc Southern Railway or all possibly L&N ?    Tallking 1940-50s.       I do not have any knowledge of this area.

Note that there was a siding or a transverse thru the Ingalls Iron Works factory in Birmingham AL.  Still there ??

Thanks
Charles

Charles Harris

Hi John

Thanks for this great info and maps.   Some great photos in the brochure.

Charles

On 1/02/21 2:30 PM, John Stewart wrote:

[...]

HI Charles and all

You are very welcome.  I think the brochure was given to me by Jason Parham who is the GM&O guru in these parts.

John

John R Stewart

www.bhamrails.info

205-901-3790