Topics

locked CofG RS3 details in O scale

Lee Bishop

I have a Weaver RS3 dummy in O scale, going to make it into ET&WNC 209 or 210...

Anyone know what type of horn the SRR had on these? I'm looking for detail parts that are correct, also need to know if someone makes a bell like that in O scale?

D. Scott Chatfield

Lee,

First thing, if you're looking for O-scale detail parts, the first place I'd call would be Des Plaines Hobbies.  Same for S-scale parts.

The horn is a Nathan M-3.

The bell is a standard "fabricated frame" switcher bell, but looks a little smaller than normal.  Maybe because it's partly hidden by the fan shroud.  But you might consider an S-scale bell.

Scott Chatfield

David Friedlander

Hi Lee,

I model only in O-Scale. Not sure how many of us lurk on this group.  I'm not sure how deep you are into 2R O Scale modeling, but I'll give a general overview, followed by where to get the two parts you seek.

Generally, Precision Scale carries many things in its many catalogs.  The catalogs are located here: https://www.precisionscaleco.com/ I would download their 3 O-Scale PDF's and keep them handy as you do projects. It's a little bit of work to look for what you're looking for.  Sometimes I get lazy and search on ebay something like "precison XYZ" and there is a reseller who has ALOT of PSC O Scale parts on there, but not all, so you still need to look in the catalog if nothing shows up.

You can buy direct from PSC, or through many redistributors including Des Plaines Hobbies and P&D Hobby Shop.  Both owners were legendary in their own right for what they did for O-Scale, but Pat Mucci of P&D just passed away a couple weeks ago, and Ron Sebastian of Des Plaines Hobbies left us a few years ago, but both shops are still around. They each carry their own line of parts in addition to PSC and others.  Admittedly, DPH's website is harder to use and I mostly only shop there if there is a DPO or OSA part they make that I need specifically. Look for parts that start with either DPO or OSA (O Scale America), as those are their in-house parts.  OSA is the former custom finishes line by Bob Rzasa and googling that can bring up general listings of whats available with shadow drawings.

You also have scale city designs which took over the old Keil Line parts and carry some other stuff too.  Most of these are cast in white metal.  https://scalecitydesigns.com/

Norm at Protocraft makes killer decals and occasionally has useful detail parts (extras) from the brass cars he brings in from overseas: https://protocraft.com/category.cfm?Categoryid=6&CFID=1215290&CFTOKEN=c9c9217b35178129-B98EBDFC-E3FF-1DE8-D9D8409C2AEE1232

There are obviously others out there and 3D printed options as well.

As for your two part inquiries:

-Nathan m-3 horn: I use the bowser Cal-Scale brass horns.  Assembly required.  Soldering with silver-bearing solder is probably best, but you can glue them too like I used to do when I was younger. https://www.bowser-trains.com/history/oscalecalscale.html  (I also seem to remember hearing that these guys got rid of their cal scale line, but everything including the order form is still on the website, so go figure; I stocked up on M3 and M5 horns a long time ago, so I haven't ordered recently.)

-The bell: I have a bell similar to this on my S12 that I believe I got from Bill Davis at American Scale Models (https://americanscalemodels.com/O/O_DETAIL_PARTS) at a train show.  He sells a lot of parts that seem to have come originally from Overland Models designs.  I don't see the exact bell on his website, but you can probably conjure up something using a bell from any of the listed manufacturers here and solder it to some properly bent brass bar.

Other things you didn't ask for (other parts and upgrades):
-Upgraded handrails -  Specifically for the Weaver RS3, if you want to also upgrade the handrails or some of the other things I think they both have details to do that, including this item here: https://www.pdhobbyshop.com/Store/product_info.php?products_id=784

-Stack - Not sure, probably either DPH or P&D or make one from styrene.

-Marker lights - I have a set or two of P&D for when I get to my own Alco RS units.

-The sill mounted MU receptacle on the front porch (sides slightly arched from top to bottom) - P&D or PSC both make this style I believe.

-The handrail-mounted MU receptacles - I believe the Weaver RS3 model has these included.

-The elongated step board...not sure, you would need to look at the sources I provided you to see if someone makes it. I took a look at some parts diagrams from AtlasO, and doesn't look like they have it either. https://shop.atlasrr.com/t-partsdiagrams.aspx

-Dual-Beam light housing if your Weaver shell doesn't already have it (They came in both Single and Dual-Beam.) - PSC or Cal Scale (I believe Cal-Scale's are smaller and better.)

-Etched Fan shroud - I think P&D made these.

-Decals - I just took a look at Microscale ( http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SOU ) 48-328 decals and ET&WNC is not included.  This hood gold leaf lettering set was also remade a few years ago by Microscale and they screwed up the set, so beware using that set for any of the letterings.  Some artwork software allows you to use borders on your shapes, and I have a feeling they turned it off by accident and all of the lettering on the reprinted set is thin, wrong, and doesn't match the original 48-328 sets made many years ago. Unfortunately, a few years back, even after I emailed them about it, (they confirmed receipt, but after the lady passed it onto the primary guy there), he never got back to me about it even after several follow up emails, which was a giant FU to me.  I am lucky I was able to buy up enough old stock that I think my projected future needs will be covered. Just gotta hope they last long enough for me to use.

If you have any other questions, I can answer them on or off the list.  I only suggest on list, as there may be other modelers in O-scale here with similar questions.  I should probably review my blog and make sure I update some sort of parts source list that I use for my rolling stock, varnish, and locomotive detailing.

David Friedlander

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:59 AM D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:
Lee,

First thing, if you're looking for O-scale detail parts, the first place I'd call would be Des Plaines Hobbies.  Same for S-scale parts.

The horn is a Nathan M-3.

The bell is a standard "fabricated frame" switcher bell, but looks a little smaller than normal.  Maybe because it's partly hidden by the fan shroud.  But you might consider an S-scale bell.

Scott Chatfield

Lee Bishop

Scott,
I know the bell was a standard for all SRR RS-3s. Many years ago, I built this exact engine from an Atlas HO scale RS3, but of course all the parts I needed were easy to find in HO. Looking at some other photos, I'm sure I could make the frame myself. Would have bene easier if someone made the exact casting, though.
David,
Thanks for the info. I have pretty much all the parts I need identified and ready to order.
This project is for a dummy engine for display. I don't model O scale standard gauge (nor have the room to do so). I model the ET&WNC in On30, during the 1940s. That said, I saw both of their RS-3s sitting on the scrap line in Elizabethton in the 80s and got some shots of them then. I don't recall ever seeing them running but we went there each year when I was a kid and I was born in 1969, so I was certainly in the area when they could have run, just don't think I ever saw them moving.
This will just go on a shelf, but as it's a dummy, I could run it on someone's layout someday coupled to the front of a powered unit...

Warren Calloway

On Dec 29, 2020, at 2:13 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

[...]

Would be nice to see your final build here when you finish it. Good luck.

David Friedlander

On Dec 29, 2020, at 5:19 PM, David Friedlander <davidjfriedlander@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, guys.
Warren, that's a great photo and I'm probably going to use it as a guide along with some other shots I have of it. that's the cleanest I've ever seen her in photos, for some type of excursions with TVRM cars (something I've seen next to nothing about for the details).
I've been pondering which RS3 I'll make; 209 or 210, but there seem to be a lot more photos of 210 out there. That, and it still exists (though as a gutted shell out back of the shop at TVRM).
I just placed a hefty order for detail parts but I think I'll have everything I need. The ET&WNC lettering isn't perfect for SRR lettering but it's awfully close. I'll do what I did on that HO scale one I built in the 80s; use the Microscale SRR diesel set that has the S&A road name, using two inverted/altered "A"s to make the letter W for the road name.
I'd pondered if I was going to make it in the early 70s guise with the orange stripe or as it was re-lettered after being swapped for 207/208 (SRR 630 and 722 today) with the white tuxedo stripe in 1967. As I only ever saw them with the orange stripe at the end of their lives in TN, that's what I'll likely paint them for.
It's funny that I'm going to this much trouble for a model I'll never run (and has no motor), but as a dummy engine I could always run it on a 3 rail layout someday...
Of course I'll post photos here when it's done. I usually work pretty fast, so once it's all in place and I have a window for painting weather (I'm in the Pacific NW), I'll move pretty quick, barring unforeseen circumstances. Putting these details on and doing paint work won't take very long...
Lee Bishop
FYI, there should be an article on my On30 ET&WNC layout in RMC early in 2021, keep an eye out.

Robert Graham

I wasn't paying close attention to these messages until I rea your reply to Warren; I was thinking you were doing a CofG RS3. But, for ET&WNC, I can offer a couple of 209 I have scanned. I also have 210 but Warren's shot is exceptional. Don't forget the front had a higher orange panel than the stripe proper and it had a "V" under the headlight, sort of visible in my 209 photo; I included a ET&WNC 210 meeting the Beaunit fireless at Bemburg TN to better show the front panel.

Bob Graham

[...]

Thanks for posting those photos, Bob! I don't recall ever seeing the RS-3s in service (though I was certainly in the area for family trips in that timeframe but I was born in 1969), the former SP RS-11s were the first ET&WNC engines I remember clearly that came after these.
As for the North American Rayon fireless cooker, I remember that well. They made such a big deal about the bicentennial pain job, and showed it off at Sycamore Shoals during the bicentennial events at Fort Watauga. It sat right by the entrance to the park and I have shots of myself, my brother and cousin standing in front of it. In 1985, the day after Christmas, we were coming back from Johnson City (I had just got to get some neat stuff from the hobby shop there, including the Lionel HO scale Freedom Train 4449, model which I still have to this day) and saw it puttering around the mill tracks. My mom pulled over and I had my good camera on me. I got several shots of it switching, but nothing as good as your shots.
The crew let me sit in the cab under steam, and my Mom took a couple of shots (in the shadow side) of me in the cab. I need to scan those someday, but they're not that great quality.
Sadly, I never got out there in a timeframe when I could drive somewhere on my own to go check stuff out until after I got married. I never managed to fnd a train on the ET&WNC main, and a few years later, it was all gone in Elizabethton.