Does anyone have some good color photos of GE 44 Tonner Locomotives for Southern or other class one railroads?
Thanks
David Eisman

On Mar 16, 2022, at 2:14 AM, Robert Graham <rgraham2@...> wrote:

Pretty easy, David. The Warren Calloway photo appears to be the earliest. The Tom Sink and G.M. McDonald photos were both made the same day. Those 2 gents used to be close friends and traveled frequently together. Just different angles of the sane subject on the same trip. SOU ALCO S2's were all retired by 1972, and the SOU 2218 made by Sink & McDonald has been somewhat freshly painted. In case doubters show up, I knew and also traveled with all 3 men at one time or another during this same time period. AS for location, SOU switch engines tended to be very provincial in their assignments and 2218 was usually in Spartanburg or close environs at the end of its service life. I checked my collection and I have a shot of SOU 2218 made in Spartanburg SC in Oct 1971, looking essentially the same as the Sink/McDonald photos, and it was retired just a few months later in early 1972. FWIW, the last SOU S2 I shot was SOU 2220 in Greensboro NC in Dec 1971.

Bob Graham

From: "David Friedlander"
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Sent: Tuesday March 15 2022 11:36:28PM
Subject: [SouthernRailway] SOU S2 2218 Photo Chronology Verification

Hi all,

I'm getting some models ready for the Valley Forge RPM.

I've finally come back around to my model of Alco S2 2218 I did many years ago and want to weather it.  Went looking for photos and found some good ones in my era online:
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/switchers/sou2218.html
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/switchers/sou_2218_union_sc_32771.jpg
https://railpictures.net/photo/343840/

The interesting thing here is that all of these photos claim they are in March of 1971.

Photo 2 and 3 are basically the unit in more or less the same location. I honestly think one of them has the location mislabeled, but I don't know enough about either to know whether Union or Spartanburg is the correct location. It doesn't matter for my purposes, so I won't waste brain power there.

However if you compare photos 1 and 3, you'll see vastly different weathering and some spotting details differences:
-In Photo 1 - Along the carbody are white markings everywhere, perhaps some sort of residue from phosphate or anti-snow liquid residue. None of that exists in Photo 3, and while one could think the unit was cleaned, the carbody still looks unwashed to me.
-In Photo 1, the stack is still unpainted metal/aluminum in color with exhaust residue at the top. In Photo 3, the stack looks to be repainted black and is equally weathered near the top (or maybe they just painted right over the caked on exhaust).
-In Photo 1, there is some good rusting on the cab roof corner closest to the photographer. Photo 3 - not there, but either repainted, or a precursor to rust (the latter makes less sense since this unit was traded in in 1972)
-If you compare the font of the numberboards, they also look different across Photos 1 and 3. It would be my opinion that the font shown in Photo 1 is earlier than Photo 3.
-Photo 1 has the forward cab windows with a yellowish tint.( I'm guessing caused by the exhaust.) Not sure on Photo 3.

I want to say that Photo 1 is earlier than Photos 2/3 due to the color of the stack and the font on the numberboards. I'm guessing it was indeed shopped (albeit mainly cleaning and some light painting) sometime in the middle of March 1971 and this is sort of a before and after. It does sort of surprise me that they cleaned this unit up a year before it was traded into EMD.  Anyone else have a better idea of the chronology of events here? Perhaps Photo 1 is even earlier than 1971, though I highly doubt Warren would label it with the wrong date.

If Photo 1 is indeed earlier than Photo 3, I'd prefer to use it as my weathering reference. Any idea of the best way to model all of those white splatters across the carbody?

Thanks,
David Friedlander
Columbia,MD

Paul Schmidt

I thought I saw one in the latest book from White River Productions.
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA

David Eisman

Thanks very much.
I’ll look into that.
Sincerely,
David Eisman

On Mar 17, 2022, at 3:11 PM, Paul Schmidt <pschmidt3013@...> wrote:

I thought I saw one in the latest book from White River Productions.
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA

Marv Clemons

While on this subject, I'll mention that I've recently acquired the number board from Southern's first GE 44-ton locomotive #1951.  It was removed by a Norris Yard shop employee before the unit was scrapped in February 1974.  I don't have space to display it and it's too nice to sit out in the garage (see attached photo).  I'm willing to part with it if the price is right.  Please inquire with a private message.

Thanks,
Marv Clemons
Birmingham AL

David Eisman

Thanks for the offer but this is not what I’m really looking for.  It is an interesting piece and I wonder if the North Carolina Transportation Museum at the former Southern Railway shop facility in Spencer might be interested in purchasing it from you or perhaps the Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth GA ( near Atlanta) since 1951 operated there.
Thanks for offering and good luck.
I miss seeing the Southern.
David

On Mar 19, 2022, at 12:36 PM, Marv Clemons <mclemonsjr@...> wrote:

While on this subject, I'll mention that I've recently acquired the number board from Southern's first GE 44-ton locomotive #1951.  It was removed by a Norris Yard shop employee before the unit was scrapped in February 1974.  I don't have space to display it and it's too nice to sit out in the garage (see attached photo).  I'm willing to part with it if the price is right.  Please inquire with a private message.

Thanks,
Marv Clemons
Birmingham AL

Marv Clemons

David,

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know  #1951 worked near Duluth. Do you have any details regarding it's assignment?

I also miss the Southern and so much more of the railroads I grew up with and worked for. Weren't we lucky to experience railroading "back in the day."

Marv

George Eichelberger

As with ALL Southern diesels, the SRHA archives contain photos, drawings, specifications and correspondence on the Southern’s GE 44-T locos. SRHA members are welcome to come to the archives work sessions to do their own research on the subject.

We have decided to split the Southern Railway diesel book into separate books on various loco types; freight, passenger, road and yard switchers. Anyone seriously interested in doing research on any model is welcome to help.

I have attached one example of the “correspondence” we have in the archives. Dated 8-13-68, it described the status of Southern’s 44-T GEs at that time.

Ike

Carl Ardrey

March 1976 at Norris Yard. My photo.

Carl Ardrey

john w coniglio

This is interesting to TVRM because we had 1952 at East Chattanooga in the 1970s as reflected in an old roster. Roster shows it was scrapped in 1979, but that may be incorrect. Also in 1979 we had a centercab similar in appearance, numbered 2951. I can find no roster info for that unit.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 10:01 AM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
As with ALL Southern diesels, the SRHA archives contain photos, drawings, specifications and correspondence on the Southern’s GE 44-T locos. SRHA members are welcome to come to the archives work sessions to do their own research on the subject.

We have decided to split the Southern Railway diesel book into separate books on various loco types; freight, passenger, road and yard switchers. Anyone seriously interested in doing research on any model is welcome to help.

I have attached one example of the “correspondence” we have in the archives. Dated 8-13-68, it described the status of Southern’s 44-T GEs at that time.

John W. Coniglio
Read my most recent books, available at

Life's too short to shoot cheap film
facebook
https://www.facebook.com/john.w.coniglio

website: http://www.steamvalley.net

TIM ANDREWS

I came here in late 1976 and the 44-tonner was scrapped sometime after that.  I am not sure whether we ever owned it, or was only leased from a used equipment dealer.  We had several locomotives owned by Eveready Machinery who kept their equipment at TVRM because they needed a local place to hold it while they looked for a buyer.  Southern NW5 2100 was another example as were some either NW2 or SW7s that passed through here.  I think there was a former military center cab (45 tonner perhaps) here at one time. I will have to go back and look through some of the records.

On Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 04:10:44 PM EDT, john w coniglio <jwconiglio@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles Powell

John and Tim,
SOU 1952 was donated to TVRM by Southern around 1971. There were major problems with the engine/generator sets as the cast steel housing connecting the engine to the generator was cracked and busted on both sets. The units were removed with the thought that at some point we would find replacements and put the locomotive in service. At this point our only operating motive power for the museum was a trackmobile and the ex Southern Wood 0-4-0; another locomotive for switching was much desired. Then TVA donated a Plymouth switcher and the 1952 lost priority. My work career moved me on in 1976 so I wasn't privy to the decision to scrap it.
Charlie Powell

TIM ANDREWS

IIRC we ended up with two Plymouth 30 tonners and a smaller GE.  Those kept things going until the RSD1's came from Eglin Air Force Base.

On Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 09:32:01 PM EDT, Charles Powell <charlesspowell@...> wrote:

John and Tim,
SOU 1952 was donated to TVRM by Southern around 1971. There were major problems with the engine/generator sets as the cast steel housing connecting the engine to the generator was cracked and busted on both sets. The units were removed with the thought that at some point we would find replacements and put the locomotive in service. At this point our only operating motive power for the museum was a trackmobile and the ex Southern Wood 0-4-0; another locomotive for switching was much desired. Then TVA donated a Plymouth switcher and the 1952 lost priority. My work career moved me on in 1976 so I wasn't privy to the decision to scrap it.
Charlie Powell

David Eisman

I received an email from George Eichelberger with the SRHS that I wanted to forward to you with a Memo from the SRHS archives in Chattanooga dated 1968 stating that locomotive 1951 was still in service in Cochran GA so I’m assuming that it came to Atlanta for regular maintenance and was probably assigned to Atlanta at some point but I don’t have any direct evidence of 1951 in Atlanta.  The E Mail is attached to several others and I can’t figure out how to separate it from the others to send it to you.  Sorry
All the best
David

On Mar 23, 2022, at 9:33 AM, Marv Clemons <mclemonsjr@...> wrote:

David,

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know  #1951 worked near Duluth. Do you have any details regarding it's assignment?

I also miss the Southern and so much more of the railroads I grew up with and worked for. Weren't we lucky to experience railroading "back in the day."

Marv

George Eichelberger

John:

There are multiple Southern diesel assignments over the years in the TVRM/SRHA archives. Of all the diesel types, the 44-tonners had limited assignments that changed very little over the years.

In the 1940s, the Southern had a “plan” when they started buying diesel switch engines. Locations that were switched by 0-6-0s got 600 HP diesels, 0-8-0s got 1,000 HP and outlying areas with less traffic to switch/bad bridges or track were assigned 44-tonners. Of course, a major benefit of the small GEs was they did not require a fireman. That was also a benefit of the FM diesel passenger trains, their weight on drivers allowed them to operate with only an engineer.

Ike

In addition to the third weekend archives work sessions, someone can let you in the archives at other times.

On Mar 23, 2022, at 4:10 PM, john w coniglio <jwconiglio@...> wrote:

[...]

<1968-8-13 GE 44ton status_I.tif>

--
John W. Coniglio
Read my most recent books, available at

Life's too short to shoot cheap film
facebook
https://www.facebook.com/john.w.coniglio

website: http://www.steamvalley.net

George Eichelberger

All:

These comments about TVRM suggests it is time to remind everyone they have the largest collection of operating Southern Railway locomotives and rolling stock anywhere. The collection is growing with newly acquired equipment being restored. Last weekend, we found paperwork and drawings to help with the restoration of a Budd LW coach (will be restored “as delivered”) and drawings and correspondence on the six-wheel outside swing hanger trucks to be used on business car OC-21 (being restored to its 1956-1960 appearance).

The Southern converted Pullman “Point Richmond” to OC-21 in 1956 and purchased new swing hanger trucks for several business cars in the mid 60s, incl. OC-21. The previous owner of NS-8 (r/n after the merger) sold the replacement trucks after he stopped the restoration. NS-8 sat on shop trucks when TVRM purchased it at Gateway Railcar at E. St Louis last year. The car was moved by truck to TVRM (photos if anyone has them please!) and put on standard Pullman trucks that came from Michigan. We are told the “new” trucks were the last built by GSC.

I mention this because it is testament to capabilities of the TVRM shop forces. (There will be a special “behind the scenes” tour of the shop during the SRHA-L&NHS joint convention and RPM meet at TVRM Sept. 30/Oct 1.

“Modeling", at 12”/ft is expensive. Donations allow TVRM to restore items they may not otherwise be able to do…..consider sending what you can!

Ike

On Mar 23, 2022, at 9:50 PM, TIM ANDREWS <ANDREWSTIM@...> wrote:

[...]

David:

I took several photos of 44-tonners at Pegram shop over the years. I am not aware it was ever assigned to Atlanta, it was there for maintenance. I’ve attached a photo from the Marvin Black collection of Sou 1951 at Cochran, GA 8-8-70. (A different photo has it at Asheville, NC in 1964. Track conditions on the “Craggy” then did not allow heavier power there.)

Ike

PS The SRHS merged with the Southern Railway Historical Association (SRHA) many years ago. SRHA “owns” both names but we use “SRHA”.

On Mar 23, 2022, at 11:06 PM, David Eisman <davideisman@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info on 1951’s assignments.  Do you know if any of the 44 Tonners were ever assigned to the Louisville or Lexington Kentucky area.  I’m originally from Louisville.  I’m a fan of the green paint scheme with the round SR logo for the 44 Tonners.
Thanks
David

On Mar 24, 2022, at 8:58 AM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

[...]

The 9-30-1957 “Switch Locomotives in Switch Service Eastern Lines” shows small GEs:
1954 in Atlanta for maintenance
1952 in Dalton
1950 at Citico for maintenance
6520 at Decatur
6010 at Huntsville
6840 at Somerset

1 350 HP GE on Eastern Lines, 0 west
1 350 HP GE on Eastern Lines, 4 west

There are several SR locomotive assignment sheets in the SRHA archives. They typically run about thirteen pages and are very detailed. During the transition from steam to diesel and the early diesel era on the Southern, many “road freight”, “passenger” and “switch engines” were assigned to specific terminals, train numbers, power pools or as relief engines when an assigned loco was due for maintenance or inspections.  Pool assignments were for service between between specific terminals. Most assignments were based on where each loco was maintained. Until the NS merger, units would “cycle” through the shop in their assigned area as they worked between their assigned end points.

I’ve attached a screen shot of locos assigned to maintenance at Birmingham from the 9-30-1957 assignments. (Dashes between unit number indicate units operating “MU”, no dashes indicate single unit operation.

Ike

On Mar 24, 2022, at 10:15 PM, David Eisman <davideisman@...> wrote:

<Sou 1951 GE-44 ton Cochran, GA 8-8-70.jpeg>